What controls amount of reserve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What controls amount of reserve?

A comment in another thread about the petcock not containing the filter brought to mind a question I had tonight but am not sure what words to use to search for it. And I know this has been answered before.

What exactly controls the regular and reserve portions of the tank - is it the petcock or the tank design? Is there an actual difference in the tank or does the design of that filter say how much you have to use?

Also, can a tank still contain a significant amount of fuel even if the petcock "claims" there's nothing left by not providing fuel to the carbs?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Okay, I'm a dumbass. After posting this I found my answer.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

My understanding was there is two tubes, the taller tube is the regular portion of the tank. Once fuel drops below that, no more fuel. Switch to reserve (shorter tube) and get the last little bit out of the tank. This could be totally off base for the GS, but is my understanding of petcocks with a reserve in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post
        My understanding was there is two tubes, the taller tube is the regular portion of the tank. Once fuel drops below that, no more fuel. Switch to reserve (shorter tube) and get the last little bit out of the tank. This could be totally off base for the GS, but is my understanding of petcocks with a reserve in general.
        Yea thanks Souske, I found it after posting this.

Let this be a lesson to every newbie out there - use the titles only search and you'll get your answer quickly.

I didn't tonight and asked a dumb question.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          What exactly controls the regular and reserve portions of the tank - is it the petcock or the tank design? Is there an actual difference in the tank or does the design of that filter say how much you have to use?
          The correct answer is BOTH.

The size and shape of the tank will determine how much gas can be available, the height of the tube on the petcock will determine how much is actually in reserve.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And, even if you know your reserve to be, say, 1 gallon, don't expect to get 1 gallon of reserve before the bike quits. Generally speaking you'll get maybe half or so of that before the bike starts sucking air.

Comment

Thanks Josh you just highlighted a problem I'm having and I'm not sure why.

By all rights I should be able to run on 3.2 gallons (based on what I figured) which is my total tank. I'm currently getting roughly 46 miles to the gallon which means I should be okay to at least 140 miles but am dying around between 120 and 130. I am trying to remember that once I hit the reserve to start planning on filling up but I do get caught thinking my reserve will be enough. Sadly I misjudged it this past Friday and ran out about 4 miles from the gas station on the way home from work - odometer said 129 miles.

Taking your comment now, why can't I use my full tank?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Becase the top of the pick up is above the lowest level that is in the tank.

Comment

I have a new petcock from TCK that I haven't put in yet but is on my plans for a teardown I'm doing this weekend; looks like the one on the right in your picture. Will that give me that extra half gallon or is there another way to maximize my tank contents? BESIDES SLOWING DOWN to increase fuel mileage?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    why can't I use my full tank?
                    Is there actually fuel left in the tank after you run out of gas ? Maybe you are using all your gas. Bad mileage ? Valves need adjusting? I go 180 miles and then top off with 4 gallons.
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I don't know about the bad mileage because I'm still roughly getting what I did (one incident yesterday says otherwise but I'm not sure yet, still testing). But, valves were good at my check in June and will be checked again this weekend.

I've heard gas and when I'm filling up I'm figuring I have maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of a gallon left in the tank (fill to bottom of filler cap). The only other change I've made was to add the stock rubber cushion under the tank. I've debated removing it as a test but haven't gotten to it yet.

Either way, I'll do some more testing. Can't ride today because thunderstorm that came through last night really soaked the ground around my place so I'm taking the truck to work.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

My policy is hit reseve and look for gas.Done the I hope I make it a few times.Not a fan.Have so far but I don't want to push my luck.Running out of gas on Sooke Rd. would be a major PITA.

Comment

I upgraded to the 4 gal tank on my 850L, the petcock I installed came from the 850G. Reserve is way too soon, the 5.8 gal tank's reserve is closer to 3/4, maybe 7/8 of a gallon. I just run with reserve on all the time, and treat it like I still had the 3.2 gal tank on the bike with no reserve on the petcock. When the gauge hits the red, it's time to fuel up. Against my better judgement, I've ignored that a couple of times, thinking I could make it to the gas station because I usually get about 130 miles out of that tank, but beware of headwinds and twisting that wrist too much, mileage suffers. I have had that horrible "out of gas on the side of the road" experience 4 times since I put that tank on.
                          I've never even put the 1100 on reserve yet, the most fuel I've put in the tank has been 4.5 gallons.

Comment

Working...
                          X