Clear All

pilot fuel screw, adjustable??

Again, working on a 1980 gs 750.

After going through the carbs:
    -cleaning
    -new o-rings
    -bench synch
    -pilot air screw', 2.5-3 turns out

In addition to the 'pilot air screw', is the "pilot fuel screw" also adjustable? (1 turn out?)

When I bought the bike this summer, I cleaned the carbs, but don't remember adjusting the fuel screw, so it's probably all the way closed.

Would that explain my bikes poor idle and need to use the choke?

Learning, be patient with me

If your bike is actually a 1980 it will have BS CV carbs, which don't have fuel screws.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You don't have "pilot air screw" and "pilot fuel screw" on your carbs.

The pilot air JET is in the intake of the carb throat and should be installed snuggly. NO ADJUSTMENT.

The pilot fuel JET is in the float bowl, next to the main jet, and hidden by a rubber plug. It is to be installed snuggly. NO ADJUSTMENT.

The only thing that you CAN adjust is the "idle mixture adjustment screw", which is just above the outlet of the carb. Start with it three full turns out from lightly seated. When the bike is warmed up, slowly turn each MIXTURE screw in, listening for a increase in engine speed. After it speeds up (it may not be much, maybe 50 rpm), listen for a decrease. Stop there, back up about 1/8 turn, go to the next carb.

All the MIXTURE screws might end up about 2 to 2 1/2 turns out, but the bike will start easier and run better while cold if you start at three turns.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I believe being 1980 means it only has a pilot air screw and no fuel screw. At least that is the case with my 850s. Did you say you had synced the carbs? If not that will make a huge difference. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by terrylee View Post
          I believe being 1980 means it only has a pilot air screw and no fuel screw.
          No, it does NOT have a "pilot air screw".

It has a fuel JET and an air JET and a MIXTURE SCREW.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was reviewing a carb rebuild tutorial, which was a different model, which had an fuel screw, hence my confusion. Easy enough.

Comment

Idle mixture screw.
              The air and fuel is premixed using the pilot air jet and the pilot jet.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X