Breather Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breather Hose

On my 1983 650 katana the breather hose from the top of the engine how long should it be. Mine comes down by the carbs just wondering if the hose should go father down near the bottom of the engine. Also there is a hose that comes off the gas tank on the right side where the fuel sender is where does that hose go to.

thanks

Hi,

The breather hose should connect the top of the valve cover to the airbox. The fuel gauge send unit should have an emergency drain hose that runs past the battery down to the street. It should also have a pair of wires that connect it to the fuel guage. Go to my website and read the article "Where Do These Hoses Go?".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The bike came with k&n filters on the carbs so where should i direct the hose to.

Comment

Originally posted by chris6888 View Post
        The bike came with k&n filters on the carbs so where should i direct the hose to.
        Ever since I put pods on my bike, I just route the breather hose back along the frame and secure it with a zip tie. It vents to open air.

Comment

I would not just run the vent hose off the valve cover open ended, as these air cooled engines do develop enough pressure to vent oil vapors all over the back of the engine and down maybe around your rear tire if not routed to the stock airbox. Do not just block it up either as in hot conditions, it'll develop internal pressure with no relief. They sell filters to put on the end of the vent hose or rig a zip tie and filter foam on the end as an alternative.
          BTW, there is a steel mesh inside the breather cover in the valve cover if someone didn't remove, that does trap most of the oil vapors.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

where would i get a filter for that hose

Comment

where would i get a filter for that hose

Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
              X