FINALLY, Got my bike back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY, Got my bike back

Hey guys, I posted here for the first time on July 28th, the day I got my first bike ever, a 1982 GS850GL. Anyway, when I bought it, the charging system was bad, so after 20 days of waiting and $175 (The dealer paid half) I got it back today. Rode it for about 10 miles and parked it to start looking it over and work on making some homemade temporary side covers (Which you can see in one of the photos). I started it back up after about an hour and it was running a little rough. If I gave it some throttle, it would rev up to about 4000 to 5000 RPM's and then act like it was choking out. I guess I ended up flooding it a little because I noticed some gas coming from the Airbox, and after a quick search of the forum learned it's either the Petcock or overflowing the floatbowls. SO those items get added to the list.

So after a quick inspection, I found a few more odd and end things that need fixing.

1. Horn doesnt work
    2. Petcock is stuckin in the run position. Can't turn it at all

So far those are the immediate problems I see. On top of the general fluid replacements and Carb Cleaning I had planned. All in all, I still feel really excited about the possibility of this bike. I see potential. Some paint, polish and time.

Took this pic after I got caught in the rain at work. You can see one of the homemade side covers here. I don't plan on it being a permanent thing, but don't have the cash for replacement covers at the moment. I'll probably just paint them black or to match the tank when I decide on a color.

Well, go thru all the items ob Basscliffs list and you'll be running fine
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Oh yeah Big T, thats the plan. I've been printing off pages and pages of "HOW TO" stuff from Basscliffs site. I've got my own little service manual with pictures ready to go. I'd read the Stator Papers so many times when I would talk to the mechanic I kept asking him if he'd checked certain things mentioned in the papers. I think I may have upset him. Oh well. Anyway, Most of everything I need to replace or change seems really simple based on my BassCliff Manual. But I have to admit, The carb tear down, clean and then getting everything adjusted right is a little intimidating. I've never worked on a carb in my life, especially not 4 of them. But I also know that's probably 99% of my problems right now so it's got to be done. I'm just anxious to get it done and on the road.

Comment

I had never done any carbs before finding this great site, just follow the step by step instructions on Basscliff site (two different ones for 850s). Just get the o-rings from "cycle-o-rings", some Berryman's carb. dip and just take your time. You'll need a tool to sync. them when done and back on bike. If I can do it anyone can! (I have done two sets so far). terrylee

Comment

Tackle those valves as well! It isn't as hard as it looks and you will be amazed how much better the bike runs when they are all in spec.

Comment

I will second the tip to check the valves.

I will also offer you the chance to read my sig, if you would like some help.

By the way, it may not make much difference to you, but you have an '80/'81 airbox in your '82 bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll have to read the basscliff stuff on the valves. Totally lost when it comes to that. Yeah Steve someone else had told me about the Airbox being from an earlier model. Will that cause me problems or just not look right?

Comment

Originally posted by airwolf222b View Post
                I'll have to read the basscliff stuff on the valves. Totally lost when it comes to that. Yeah Steve someone else had told me about the Airbox being from an earlier model. Will that cause me problems or just not look right?
                It just looks different. Since you don't have the proper side covers, it won't really matter.

Here is what it looks like, the other way around. This is an '81 bike with an '82 airbox:
                If I still had the bike, I would be willing to trade.

Here is what an '82 850L is supposed to look like (as far as the side covers and airbox go):

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X