Fuel leaking into oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel leaking into oil

So I've had this issue for a while and only recently have had the time to work on it. I pulled the carbs off of my 80 GS550L, it has 32 Mikunis. I replaced the o-rings around the float jet holding orifice as it was slightly pitted. I opted for some fatter orings that I hope will keep any leaking from occuring. One of them had been replaced already and was very loose, which could have accounted for my intermittent leaking. My problem is that while putting them back together I noticed one of the floats had a problem. The black plastic on the float seems to be chipping off in one spot and I think it may lead to problems in the main jet. Has anyone dealt with this? Can I seal it with something or do I just need a new float? Thanks!

To be clear, I don't think it's leaking but if it keeps breaking down I think it will.

Didn't you get an o-ring replacement set from Robert Barr at cycleorings and dip/rebuild them as per the tutorial ?

Just stick the float into a glass of water and see if it stays floating for awhile or if it takes in any water.
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I'm mostly worried about it breaking down and ending up in the main jet.

Comment

Hi,

I think you'll find the best prices for floats at partsnmore.com.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by bobiii84 View Post
          I'm mostly worried about it breaking down and ending up in the main jet.
          I'd be more worried about those thicker o-rings- bigger is not always better and where did you get them? gas likes to swell o-rings.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I got them from federated auto parts. I would get the kit with them but I'm not sure they would keep it from leaking due to the pitting :/ I went ahead and ordered that kit you guys mentioned on here as a backup. That partsnmore site also listed those tapered plugs, but wanted 8.50 shipping and 7.00 for 5 of them... That's a joke.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2011, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X