• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs850g backfiring HELP!!!!

Hello out their,

my room mates gs850g

Here is the story:

Had some oil leaks, fixed all but the valve cover gasket.
    ran great
    my room mate decided not to wait on me. So did he went a head and replaced the valve cover gasket, the only thing I did was check the clearances.

Now it runs like crap. backfiring, and missing.

At first glance the #1 and #4 plugs were fouled black. So I went through and checked some things, and noticed the signal unit generator had a crack in one of the magnets. So we bought a replacement, and installed it.

At first it ran great. But after a couple minutes, back to same old game. Back firing and such. So went ahead and replaced the plugs. Still runs like crap.

I am posting this in the fuel forums cause I now think it is a fuel issue of some sort. Like for some reason it is now running rich.

The other repair that was performed was he resealed the petcock. (had a small leak if placed on reserve).

I am scratching my head on this on. Its like it has gone out of time or something. But the #2 and #3 plugs look right. So I can still isolate it to the #1 and #4 cylinders.

I really thought I had it with the signal generator unit, but it does not seem to be the issue.

Any and all help would be appreciated and if it turns out to be the wrong forum please move if felt appropriate.

Check your spark on 1 & 4. Could be the coil is not generating enough spark or the timing is off.

Clean the carbs.

Comment

I will.

Will report back.

Comment

cilinders 1 and 4 are fed by the left coil. When taking off the valve cover, you must have taken off the spark plug caps. Did you put them back the right way?
        My 850 has old style contact breakers, but if memory serves me well, the newer signal generator has to be put on the correct timing as well by adjusting the base plate?

Just asking some questions to get the brain going

Comment

So I think there is another piece to the puzzle to add:

The turn signals at some point (apparently) have stopped working. Since I had the tank off, I decided to unplug the white plug (to the instrument panel) and the blue plug (to the headlight/signal switch). And a vast improvement. With only the occassional pop. Which is I assume is from the cylinders not firing correctly so it was burning off access fuel.

So maybe it is electrical after all.

I did just take a peak at the spark though, when it was running bad, and it was crisp and orange/blue.

So I am thinking a turn signal switch.

Comment

Check and make sure the wires are on the right plugs
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Check and make sure the wires are on the right plugs

funny you should mention that. Cause when it was first put back together, my room mate made that mistake. Since though that has been clarified.

Comment

ok,

so now here is the deal.

After unplugging the blinker switch it did get better. Not backfiring as often. But it is still not running right. No matter where I put the signal unit generator. No difference is made. I just don't know

Comment

All great discoveries start with "I dont know"
                  If you have a multimeter, now is the time to use it. Get the wiring diagram out, its prolly on basscliff's site. Focus on the blinkers, plug the switch back in to see if it gets worse again. If it does, look at the blinker cabling on the diagram. Find all the proper colouring for these cables and locate them on the bike. Start measuring. See if theres a voltage on the line where it should be according to the diagram. Check if you have proper ground on all ground connections.

I bet that if you find the reason why the blinkers dont work, you may find the source of the other problem too.

Good luck, it will be a search that will require some patience. I've been there too, it can be very frustrating sometimes. If stuck, talk about it on the forum. Other peoples insights usually get you going again, even if they are not exactly right on the source of the problem

Comment

I will have to bring my multi meter from work. It is being a real tough one to figure out. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X