Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Differences in airboxes 850 - years

Help please.

I'm putting together a GS850 from a box. I've gotten the carbs rebuilt and mounted on the bike. When I got ready to put the air box on, the boots looked shot and wouldn't go on no matter what I did. So i went looking for boots online, and discovered that my 1980 bike has a 1982 airbox. Airbox boots for 82-83 seem to be different and harder to get. Does anyone know if the 80-81 boots can be used on that airbox? Is the hole spacing different or the same? I REALLY don't want to get a different airbox at this point. I'm so close to firing it!~!! I really need this thing to be done in a week!

Hi,

The '79-'81 airbox is a different shape than the '82-'83 airbox. The airbox boots are also different part numbers, which usually means they are not interchangeable.

But the online OEM parts fiches that I have checked still show the '82 airbox boots as available, part# 13881-49070, about $12 from partshark.com.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

But the big question is, can parts shark get them quickly? Like Z1 quick?

Comment

Call Z1 and Part Shark to see what their estimated delivery is. Z1 can get anything the others sell, they just don't show things on their site which they don't have in stock.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

My impression with Z1 is they have most stuff in stock, and most other dealers have to order this old stuff from Japan. All my orders with GS Suzuki have been 2-3 week wait. Z1 was 2 days.

I'm never giving myself a time limit on a bike build again. Too much stress.

Comment

Ordered boots from a dealer.

One set available in USA. Yay vintage.

Comment

Originally posted by 86turbodsl View Post
              My impression with Z1 is they have most stuff in stock, and most other dealers have to order this old stuff from Japan.
              Not quite true.

Everything they show on their website, they have in stock. They can order anything else that you might want, but they have to order it from the same people that the dealers do, so some stuff will take a couple of weeks, too.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

pm sent..........

Comment

Working...
                X