Could this cause problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could this cause problems?

Well I tried attaching this image to one of my prior post but it wouldn't work. Not sure if its gonna load this time. But in case it doesn't I'll do my best to explain in words. Its an 82 GS750T.

I went out to smoke a dreaded cancer stick and like I normally do, I started looking over my bike(I'm a tad OCD with it). Everything looking good as it should with all the money I've put into it but then I noticed while looking at the carbs, on carb #4 I noticed a small hole on the outside of the carb(facing directly out) on the lower left while facing the side of the carb. Granted it looks like the other holes that are on the carbs but I noticed I could see inside the carb. The other holes are solid inside basically a machined crater and the others have caps it appears, that look like tiny frost plugs to be descriptive. This hole appears to be missing the cap or that someone or something punctured it. I can see inside the carb!

Hopefully the picture loads. But my concern, is this bad? What problems/symptoms would be present? Can I fix it? What couldve caused it? The bikes has never been laid down and I know I didn't puncture it.

Thanks for your thoughts

It's nothing just part of the mfg

Comment

Well I know its part of the mfg. But the rest of the these have what look like a friction cap pushed into place. This particular hole and cap are punctured. I can see inside the carb and stick something into the carb. I can see what looks like threads and I can smell fuel from the hole. The picture just shows the particular hole, but unfortunately my camera isn't good enough to show the actual puncture. I'll try again. but if it doesn't seem like a problem then I'm good for now.

Comment

Start the bike up and put your finger over the hole and see if theirs any suction or vacuum at the hole if there isn't your fine

Comment

Well I looked closer. The threads look to be from a screw on the gang plate. At the very least I'll try to figure out how to replace or close it so nothing can get in there. I'm still wondering if it could cause some vacuum issue. I'm not the most carb inclined person. It looks like it won't cause an issue but I'm not sure of the exact inner workings. I'll start it up later when I get the time and I'll check to see if it's pulling vacuum.

Comment

Just to ease your mind a bit...

#4 on my GS750TZ...

#4 on my GS750EX...

I bought the EX off the showroom floor so I know it was delivered that way .
            sigpic
            1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
            2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

I just looked at the carbs on my bike. I can see what appears to be the threads of the screw that holds the gang rail to the carb.

I also looked at a spare rack of carbs that I have just acquired.
              Two of the carbs have some sort of plug, two are open, but I don't think it's open to the inside of the carb.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well, I guess my OCD got the better of me. It just didn't look right! The other side had the cap/plug thing. I now feel much better. Thank you all for the replies. Question though, should I cover or seal it? Try to keep moisture or dirt out of it? I'm assuming it came covered. But at least I know its not gonna cause running problems!

Comment

just put a gob of silicone. Itll stay there until you tear it out.

Comment

Originally posted by mjremington View Post
                    Question though, should I cover or seal it? Try to keep moisture or dirt out of it?
                    Can't tell you how many carbs I have worked on, and never noticed anything unusual in that area.

Now I'm going to have to look at all my carbs when I get home, to check them all out.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

leave 'em alone... dirt daubers will seal 'em up for you
                      sigpic
                      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
                        leave 'em alone... dirt daubers will seal 'em up for you
                        That is exactly what I was going to post mine was plugged with when I got it. Mud dauber wasps filled it for the PO.
                        If I am thinking right that hole is cast in both sides of all 4 carbs bodies, if the carb was desitined to be a #2 or 3 it would have been cross drilled for the fuel passage from the small tubes or "T". Since this is #4 the outboard hole isn't crossdrilled... and if it were a #1 it will be on the opposite side.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X