Stumbly, is that a word?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumbly, is that a word?

My 80 1100 w/pods & a pipe stumbles at 2-3000 at a steady throttle. Running a little lean I think because if i apply a little choke it smooths right out. Stock needle is in mid position, 130 mains, 47.5 pilots.

Not sure what I should do, play with the needle height or raise the fuel level a mil or so.

Thoughts?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

It's your problem now…

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
    My 80 1100 w/pods & a pipe stumbles at 2-3000 at a steady throttle. Running a little lean I think because if i apply a little choke it smooths right out. Stock needle is in mid position, 130 mains, 47.5 pilots.

Not sure what I should do, play with the needle height or raise the fuel level a mil or so.

Thoughts?
    Hire the 1980 Suzuki racing staff to sort it out for you.
    Or put in just as many man hours and money as they did, but on your own.

Sorry, I'm too harsh.

You need 2-3 sets of main jets in a range getting more rich by 2-3% for each set. Pull the carbs, install and test each set until you get the best performance. And that's what I mean about man hours…

There are many builders on this site who may shed some light on your tuning. Best of luck.

Bill
    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-21-2011, 01:54 PM. Reason: Little help, please…
    1982 GS1100G- road bike
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Comment

Main jet is primarily for wide open throttle. It's the small throttle opening that's the issue. I'm pretty sure it's needle or float level I need to look at.
      80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
        Main jet is primarily for wide open throttle. It's the small throttle opening that's the issue. I'm pretty sure it's needle or float level I need to look at.
        Me, I 'd opt for needle, but what kind (brand name) of pods, as some of the experts here aren't thrilled with some? Does it have a smooth idle when warm?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Good luck getting rid of a stumble with a stock jet needle. You can play around with it and see if you can make it less noticable but a Dynojet will get rid of it completely.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X