Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock never stops! Rebuild or new one altogether

Hey guys,

I've been fixing up an abandoned gs400x and it now has a fuelcock that never really shuts off - On the "on" and "res" positions there is still a fairly steady flow.
    I need some advice on what route to go:
    Should I get the rebuild kit with new diaphragm, gaskets and o-rings for about $30
    like this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...item4841a9f214

or should I get a brand new petcock for about $25 more
    like this: http://www.z1enterprises.com/Petcock...zuki-1715.aspx
    ?

I had the whole think apart a few times and it all looked good. The filter tubes looked good, structurally everything seemed fine, even the gaskets and diaphragms appeared intact. is the diaphragm spring too weak to close properly? Dont think the spring is included in any of the kits. Id like to keep the original fuelcock, but if there is even a chance that I may still have a problem after replacing the diaphragm/gaskets, I just want to replace the whole thing.

I realize BassCliff says "NEW one"- but is that new OEM( in which case- since my filters are intact, that gasket kit would make it like new, right?) or does it mean that the stock one is terrible and go with the aftermarket stuff like I posted above.
    What do you think?

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2011, 01:17 PM.

Since you have had it apart a time or three, you should be acquainted with the parts. In the middle of the diaphragm is the post with the o-ring that is supposed to turn off the flow. What is the condition of the o-ring?

I got an old petcock once where the o-ring had pulled off the stem. After digging out the o-ring and cleaning the area where it sat, I replaced it with an o-ring that I got at Auto Zone. It seemed to work for the rest of the time that I had the bike, not sure how long it was going to last, as I'm not absolutely sure it was the proper material.

There does not have to be a lot of pressure exerted by the spring, as the o-ring should slide in and out of its seat rather easily.

If you choose a rebuild kit, good luck. The success rate seems to be about 20% with them, most guys just spring for a new petcock, which should be good for another 25-30 years.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X