GS750es Carb problem???? I'm stumped!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750es Carb problem???? I'm stumped!!

My 83 GS750es has stock exhaust, Uni pods, 700 cams, 700 pistons. I'm using the 700 carb's with the bigger jets than the 750 had.

Goes like heck under acceleration, but had a POOR idle and a ocassional pop through the exhaust. It REQUIRES me to blip the throttle at a stop, or jack up the idle speed up to keep it running when I'm not going down the road.
    I have cleaned the carbs, set the floats,changed the plugs,ran some seafoam through the carbs, removed the plugs to adjust the pilot air screws at 3 turns out. Getting TERRIBLE gas mileage, and it is starting to run alot better,just wont idle or cruise smoothly.

I had pulled the plugs,1,2,3 were black, but 4 seemed like it was light tan. replaced all of them with new, and started to notice that the 4 cylinder exhaust was not as hot as the other 3 were. So I changed coils, and cleaned off the pick up on the right side of the engine. Geting better but NOT good enough.. ANY thought or things to try or check would be greatly appreciated....

have you checked the valve clearances recently and synced the carbs?
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

What kind of voltage are you getting at the coils?

Are your pods new, clean and lightly oiled?

Comment

Exact same issue on my 700, I have yoshi exhaust, K&N pods and jet kit as well. After living with having to blip the throttle at every stop for years, I finally fixed it by giving it an extra screw or two at the pilots.

Try 4-5 turns out, hell 6 or 7 if it doesn't work. It's free.

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
          have you checked the valve clearances recently and synced the carbs?
          Yeah, what he said.

Also, there is more to setting the mixture screws than just "3 turns out." Once you've set valve clearances and synch'd the carbs you needs to set each pilot mixture screw on it's own for the proper amount of mixture for that cylinder.

I'm not up on what carbs are used on that bike but setting each mixture screw for highest idle seems like a common procedure.

Chris

Comment

Valves were checked and adjusted after the rebuild. I'll check on voltage at the coil, but wouldn't #1 be suffering also since it's on the same coil?

If the bike wont idle, do i raise the rpms up enough to smooth out the idle with the pilot screws and then set base idle?

Pods are new uni-foams. oil is very light. I have not sync the carbs yet..
            Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2011, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Intake boot o-rings. These bikes cook them.

I know from experience, having suffered the exact same symptoms twice now on my 700. The first time, I went crazy cleaning carbs, messing with the ignition and the coils, plug boots, etc.... Changed out the intake o-rings and Voila! idle was fixed.

The scond time, I didn't bother with anything but the intake o-rings. Fixed it again.
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Unless I rolled on out of the groves, these were all replaced with new ones from the gasket kit....

Comment

With the extra air did you go up one on the pilot jet?
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No, that remains the same between the 700 and the 750 carbs...Do you think that would make that difference???

Comment

Have you messed with the idle mixture screws at all? If you can't get it to idle richening these then I'd go up one on the pilot jets.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

You're talking about the ones under the plugs in front of the carbs correct?.. I had turned those out about 4 times, and seemed to be getting better. Still wont idle and bucks and surges at low to medium cruise...Kevin

Comment

You will need to shim the needle or get a Dynojet needle with the pods.
                          That's why your bucking and surging at take off.
                          If you can get to redline on the main that's good.
                          Get the needle dialed in next.
                          Then get the idle straight.
                          If the idle mixture screws don't help get a bigger pilot jet.

Comment

Thank You!!.. finally something I can do myself to resolve this problem. How and what do you use IF you shim the needle without buying the dyna kit?

Comment

Actually, you can't do any idle/low speed tuning until you have synch'd the carbs.

All of your tuning depends directly on vacuum supplied by the cylinder. With the carbs out of synch you aren't getting consistent vacuum to each carb and you will just be chasing your tail trying to tune them.

You said you did the valve clearances. That's good. Now do the synch. Only then can you start tuning the low speed mixture supply.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X