Ethanol gas residue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethanol gas residue.

I have read quite a bit about "brown talcum powder type stuff" in carbs by people who think it's rust. It is NOT rust! I build bikes, and also work on boats, and this stuff showed up heavy in the fuel tank of one of the boats I worked on. Trouble was, the tanks were stainless steel, so this stuff could NOT be rust. I had to find out what it was and the results are in, after a LOT of research!
    It seems that ethanol reacts to oxygen, and the resultant residue is the byproduct of the breakdown of the ethanol. It begins in around 90 days of sitting in the tank untreated. It sticks to the insides of the tank and then flakes off, in the consistency of talcum powder, and will go through regular fuel filters like they weren't there. To catch it requires a 10 micron or smaller filter. It loads up beneath the pilot jets and makes it nearly impossible to "dial in" the carbs to idle right. "Kreem" can help immediately to seal it off, but if ethanol fuel is left sitting in there untreated it will foul that too. It does come off the inside of the tank when the tank is "banged", much heavier, making people think it is surface rust knocked loose. Two solutions I have found;
    Buy non-ehtanol fuel(fat chance here in the US, They actually want to pass laws to make the content 20% instead or the present 10-15%).
    or;
    TREAT the fuel with additives sold everywhere.
    Otherwise you will just have to ride hard and a lot so the fuel never gets old! ;-} I know, a third, sorry but I just had to put that in since it is my personal solution.
    I bought a PAIR of GS850G's for 460 bucks and found this stuff in them. The first one I got running (and put 8K miles on in the first 7 months I had them) had this stuff under the rubber plugs that the pilot jets live under in the CV32mm carbs, and it has been one hell of a "chase" getting it cleared out!
    If you have to leave the bike sit for more than a very short time, treat that fuel. Carb cleaner does not clean this stuff up either! The prep chemicals used for preparing the inside of a tank for "Kreem" works though.
    Just thought I would pass this along. Can't fight what you don't understand, right? :-}

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. deckhand45,

Thank you very much for your insight!

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yep, found this **** in my carbs too.

I use a combination of marvel mystery oil and marine stabilizer now.

I'd like to run some comparative tests and see exactly how long Stabilizers work for...and to what extent.

Comment

I've heard this before, but it just inspired me to run out and stabilize my new tank of gas anyway.

Comment

uy non-ehtanol fuel(fat chance here in the US, They actually want to pass laws to make the content 20% instead or the present 10-15%).
          or;
          Just read your post. I'm switching to premium. luckily I live in Canada.
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

They should stop all of the corn subsidies, just a waste of tax payers money
            Use the corn for food like it has been for hundreds of years

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              They should stop all of the corn subsidies, just a waste of tax payers money
              Use the corn for food like it has been for hundreds of years
              +1. Makes more pollution than it prevents.

Comment

Working...
              X