Strange 'fix'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange 'fix'?

I've been messing with the carbs on the 1100 since I got it, but could never quite get the bike to feel the way it should. I've figured that I just didn't have them dialed in and sync'd right, and since I don't have a manometer yet, I've just been riding it as-is for now.

Over the last week or two, I started to develop a new issue. When it first started, on off-throttle the RPMs would drop very slowly, as if the butterflies were closing slowly. Idle would also be ~ 500 - 760 RPM too high at a stoplight, and I would have to let the clutch out in 1st to 'suck' the carbs closed and bring the idle down to 1050 where I have it set.

The issue got progressively worse to the point where it would 'rev' in between shifts, and then this past Saturday it was actually accellerating in 1st gear through a turn...and damned near put me into a parked car.

By now I suspected that the old throttle cable was hanging up, and needed either lubed or replaced. So yesterday, I pulled the tank off and disconnected the throttle cable to look at it. Didn't seen any kinks in it, but after rolling on the throttle, it was very difficult to pull back out, and hung up particularly bad in one spot. I sprayed some PB Blaster down into the sleeve, let it soak for a bit, and moved it through the throttle motion 20 or 30 times until it pulled out easily and smoothly. Reconnected everything, and took it out to see if the issue had been resolved.

Here's the strange part that I can't figure out; the bike feels AMAZING now. Pulls smoothly and firmly throughout the RPM range, and the hesitation I was getting on accelleration is all but gone. Obviously there is no 'revving' between shifts anymore, and it idles where it should at stop lights. I just can't figure out what could have been causing all of these issues in the first place? I don't understand how a hanging throttle cable could have been affecting performance throughout the RPM range, including hesitation when rolling on the throttle.

Any ideas?
    1982 GS1100GL (Sold :()(Retrieved!:pray:)
    1978 GS1000C (Sold, to be revived by Chuck)
    1979 GS1000EN (Parts Whore)
    1979 GS1000C (Collecting Dust)
    1980 GS750E (Sport-Touring Build...Someday?)
    1981 GS750L (Abandoned Project...maybe?)
    1982 GS750E (Collecting Dust)
    1983 GS750T (This is becoming a problem...)
    1981 GS650GL (Parts Whore / Cafe Donor)
    1981 GS550L (Cafe Project)

Bits of rust causing it to snag perhaps? Glad it was an easy fix for you and if nothing else, it illustrates the importance of cable maintenance. Your story bumps this up on my list of things that need to be done on my bike now.

Comment

we should all be so fortunate. Lucky you!

Comment

I experienced something like this when I had routed my cable wrong and it was creating a small kink in the line. that was causing the cable to be be prematurely tensioned. From starting the bike it was usually fine since the wheel was straight but as soon as I made any bit of a turn with the handlebars it would rev the engine or cause it to drop the RPMs.
        If your cable was sticking or routed wrong that may be what you were experiencing.
        Right turn Accel and left turn decel if I am remembering correctly.

Comment

Working...
        X