Bought bike open pipes no jetting "HELP"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gsnoob View Post
    Well ty for info, so just to be clear by all means if I put this jet kit in running these pipes open will not cause damage to my engine? CAuse the hole valves seating easier kinda threw some confusion in there lol. Since only maybe month or little longer of good riding left up here in MN going to finish out season with the pipes the way they are and save over winter for a good quality V&H 4-1 and pod filters for next spring. So im going to go with the Dynojet in prep for the V&H and Pods, I will not run it till i get the kit in if its not safe to run unjetted. I was hoping just the short runs to work and back would be okay but it sounds like even that maybe to much with out the jetting oh well a couple more days wont hurt im just dying to get the bike out.
    Backpressure is a minor issue and up for debate, so ignore it and enjoy the riding ( with ear plugs)!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

..., I will not run it till i get the kit in if its not safe to run unjetted. I was hoping just the short runs to work and back would be okay but it sounds like even that maybe to much with out the jetting
      Well, it would probably be OK, as long as you never applied enough throttle to get into the main jets.

Just keep in mind that anything over 1/4 throttle starts getting into the mains, and your 650 needs at least that much throttle to get down the road, let alone get on the highway.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for info ill prolly just hold off till kit shows up however its a straight shot to work about 8 miles and all 55mph lol i coudl prolyl manage to keep it off the mains but heck with it and thank you again for info even though I know how much of you hate open pipes your opinion is apreciated and I do not plan to leave it open like just wanna ride

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Well, it would probably be OK, as long as you never applied enough throttle to get into the main jets.

Just keep in mind that anything over 1/4 throttle starts getting into the mains, and your 650 needs at least that much throttle to get down the road, let alone get on the highway.

Comment

You can find the Harley mufflers for $50 a pair.

Comment

Was looking through J&P cycle mag and found these in pipe baffles just wondering if anyones used them and if they are worth getting they slip straight into your open pipe and bolt in

Comment

Was looking through J&P cycle mag and found these in pipe baffles just wondering if anyones used them and if they are worth getting they slip straight into your open pipe and bolt in

Any picture or link to them?

Comment

These are what im talking about going to start a new thread just to see if i can find some people who have Exp in using them http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

Originally posted by UncleBen View Post
                Any picture or link to them?

Comment

Actually im prolly just gonna wait to see what i get here for a response here before starting a new thread

Comment

Steve I think "XP" is short for "experience"

You would be amazed at the diffderence a jet kit makes. If you plan to run your open pipes to a collector into a free flowing muffler you will never get it quite right. Dynojet kits almost always have jets for stage 1 AND 3 so you can go back to stock when your headaches get really bad from that droning of your current setup.

Comment

Okay so my Dynojet stage 3 should be here anyday now just wondering if anyone has any recommendations to help the install and tuning go smooth becasue i can amagine this isn't one of those put it in and go situations im sure a fair amount of tuning will be required.

Comment

Okay so my Dynojet stage 3 should be here anyday now just wondering if anyone has any recommendations to help the install and tuning go smooth becasue i can amagine this isn't one of those put it in and go situations im sure a fair amount of tuning will be required.
                        Installing the kit is fairly straight forward. After you set it up the way it says in the instructions, fire it up and start tuning (if needed).

I adjusted the mixture screw using the highest idle method first. Then I did some plug chops to make sure everything was running right. I ended up being rich on the needle and needed to lower it two notches. The most time consuming part of it is ripping the needles out to adjust them afterward.

I will add that everyone says that pods will make the thing tough to start and be a pain to get them jetted properly. My experience was the opposite. After installing the stage 3 kit, she fired right up and idled well. YMMV

Comment

TY for the info unfortunatly my kit wont be here till the 8th due to the long weekend im kinda ****ed my order sat in there warehouse for like 3 days before it was even shipped and I paid for 1-4 day delivery going to call their customer service on tuesday and bitch cause that will be 11 days if it come on the 8th FYI anybody ordering from JCmotors be warned they are not a speedy company. But least I have some start point for when my jets do finally get here.
                          Originally posted by UncleBen View Post
                          Installing the kit is fairly straight forward. After you set it up the way it says in the instructions, fire it up and start tuning (if needed).

I adjusted the mixture screw using the highest idle method first. Then I did some plug chops to make sure everything was running right. I ended up being rich on the needle and needed to lower it two notches. The most time consuming part of it is ripping the needles out to adjust them afterward.

I will add that everyone says that pods will make the thing tough to start and be a pain to get them jetted properly. My experience was the opposite. After installing the stage 3 kit, she fired right up and idled well. YMMV

Comment

Okay so kit is here and just my Luck no install guide so i call dynojet "Oh I'm sorry it apears that modle kit doesnt come with a detailed install guide" Awesome lol guess they assume if your installing it in this old bike you prolly knwo what your doing lmfao, So couple questions kit comes with 155 and 160 main jets wich shoudl i use and where are the mixture caps kit came with a drill bit and screw to remove caps however not sure where they are located, install looks pretty simple although im not entirly sure what to do with the glue and air corrector guy on phone told me glue was to install air corrector so any pointers would help. Now if i can get all the carb screws to come out without stripping will be all good. Can i replace the stupid phillips head screws on my float bowls with like an allen headed screw or is that not recommended. Well alot in this post so ill let the pros get to it thanks

Comment

A 160 main AND air jet corrector, wow.
                              This is for a 750 but shows where the main air jets are and how to set up the needle and drill the slide. The jet sizes will be different though.

Comment

Hi,

Have a look at the carb cleaning guide (by Nessism) on my website. He shows you how to remove the caps covering the idle mixture screws.

Yes, any time you can replace the cheesehead phillips screws with allen heads is a good thing.

I have no firsthand knowledge but all of the Dynojet installations are somewhat similar. You can download a couple of other installation guides in PDF format from their website. That should give you and idea of the procedure.

You get a couple of sizes of jets because you'll need to check the plug color to be sure you're not running too lean or too rich. Adjust as necessary.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                                X