throttle cable movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

throttle cable movement

I have read thru the posts re: throttle cable that wont move, pulls hards, etc. my problem is the throttle cable on a 78 550 I just bought only moves about one-half an inch. I ran oil thru the cables, everything seems ok inside the throttle twist. this bike has been sitting for 2 years, where do I look? thanks

Did you trace the cables back and check for kinks as well?

Comment

i did, seems to be ok

Comment

different carbs, but on mine the screws for the boot clamps can get awfully close to the throttle mech on carb #3, and I've had it hang up on that before.

Comment

answered mine own question, took the top of the carbs off, one of the slides was stuck due to gas gum, so sprayed out with cleaner and works perfect....will run seafoam or carb cleaner in new gas and hope I dont have to take carbs off and rebuild.

Comment

Why are you hoping to not do it? Just tear them apart and get it done so you KNOW what they are like and how they will act. It will take all of 4 days to do it right - a lot better than maybe weeks trying to figure out why this or that happens.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
            X