No announcement yet.

unexplainable lean condition GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because I experienced this with my 1100, kind of, ..... I went from 115 to 125 mains due to open pipes and because the pocelin was showing way too lean when I did that. After the change they were still lean. I raised the needles to having no washers and still.....I opened the pilot screws about 1/2 to 3/4 turns from where they were and I now have beach sand brown colored porcelins and no lean pop on decel.

I'm with you on the whole "complete sepperation of fuel circuits" thing. Both circuits work at all throttle positions. Adjusting the pilot screws DOES make a change in the main circuit and because these carbs feed the plugged pilot circuit through the main, the main DOES affect the pilot circuit.

My soap box 2˘ worth.............................

Comment

Why don't you try it with the stock air filter element in place of the low restriction K&N filter and just see if that makes any difference. Also spray around the head where the boots mount to see if there is any leakage there. Head could be warped -- who knows. Desperate times deserve desperate measures.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        Why don't you try it with the stock air filter element in place of the low restriction K&N filter and just see if that makes any difference. Also spray around the head where the boots mount to see if there is any leakage there. Head could be warped -- who knows. Desperate times deserve desperate measures.
        I thought about trying a stock air filter but I do not have one , I tossed it 5 yrs ago when I put the K&N in the bike. I have sprayed the whole area , boots , carbs, air box boots [ that is how I found the new carb to air box tubes were leaking] sealed them up. I am thinking that the carbs are sucking air around the throttle shafts and causing the lean condition. I put a set of 140 jets in and raised the floats as high as i dare but have not had a chance to try it with the storm and all. Tomorrow is suppose to be good. Also took the K&N filter out sprayed it heavily with filter oil and put a foam sock over it lets see what that does.If that don't work may have to plug it's nose and stuff a rag in the snorkel
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          I thought about trying a stock air filter but I do not have one , I tossed it 5 yrs ago when I put the K&N in the bike. I have sprayed the whole area , boots , carbs, air box boots [ that is how I found the new carb to air box tubes were leaking] sealed them up. I am thinking that the carbs are sucking air around the throttle shafts and causing the lean condition. I put a set of 140 jets in and raised the floats as high as i dare but have not had a chance to try it with the storm and all. Tomorrow is suppose to be good. Also took the K&N filter out sprayed it heavily with filter oil and put a foam sock over it lets see what that does.If that don't work may have to plug it's nose and stuff a rag in the snorkel
          Try spraying around the throttle shafts if that is possible. It will be interesting to see the results after your next ride.

Comment

Well I took the bike out tonight and tried it,
            1st trip floats raised as high as I dare, 125 mains,needles raised .040 Pulls like a train the entire rpm range but snow white lean.the air mixture screws 3.5-4.25 out
            2nd time ,floats raised as high as I dare,140 mains , needles raised .040 would not rev past 5500rpm rich
            3rd trip floats the same , needle same 132.5 mains , stumbling around 6000 rpm and have some color on 3 of the 4 plugs a little rich
            Going to try some 127.5 and 130 tomorrow night I am getting closer
            I bet when I get this dialed in I won't have the 50 miles to the gallon I was getting with the 32mm carbs on it, but it does pull alot harder, and is quicker out of the hole.
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Well I think I finally got it, the final settings are as follows,
              34mm cv carbs
              Mains- 127.5 stock is 115
              air jet- 140 stock is 160
              pilot jet- 40 stock is 40
              Needle jet X-8 stock is x-6
              needle-5d58 set as raised .030 ths Stock is 5D58
              this has been done on a stock GS1000G to make it run properly , with a K&N filter with air box all resealed, stock exhaust with a few extra holes [the PO had drilled,sounds like *&%^]. I attribute the jetting changes to the filter, the holes and ethanol gas. But the bike now seams to run good.
              Ahh the sweet sound of success
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

I had a 1000G with K&N filter & V&H 4:1.

From memory I needed to run 122.5 mains, stock (or one size up pilots), didn't matter, just affected the adjustment screw. Stock needles lifted about 1.5 notches (I had Canadian needles in it... identical taper but they have the adjustment notches).

Were your 34mm standard 1000G carbs? I'm not sure why your 32mm wouldn't fit anymore, the outside sizes on the carbs are the same so the boots etc would be the same size for either set.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The 32's didn't fit in the boots very tightly, like the 34's pop in and the 32's fell in, so I knew that I would have to really tighten down my new boots and was not wanting to put un needed stress upon them , also the bike ran good with the 32's but didn't run to it's 1000cc potential as it should. It now runs like a 1000 should I am very pleased with the outcome, alot of pulling hair and playing the jetting game, I am how ever very happy it was on this bike that I had the hard time , because on this bike I can pull the carbs with the airbox still attached, in about 5minutes so to pull and install them it only takes about 20 minutes turnaround time to make changes.
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Yes, the airboxes on the 1000G are great. Still confused about the jetting you ended up with though & the fact that those 32's were any different in size is a mystery as well!

Seems all's well that ends well though
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                    X