stubborn carb reinstall...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stubborn carb reinstall...

I know this is an amateur question, but I just took the carbs off my '80 GS850 and did a thorough rebuild and now I can't get them back on for the life of me. I tried dish soap, maybe I need more? I put the bottom half in and tried to get the top but it was always one side or another. The little metal stub that's part of the engine keeps getting in the way, and I'm ready to give up... ha.

any help???

"Little metal stub that's part of the engine"???

Sorry you are having problems. The 850 is probably the EASIEST GS to remove/install the carbs.

If it weren't for having to play with the throttle and "choke" cables, you could just about stand back and throw them into place.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not sure what you mean by metal stub? Perhaps the cam chain tensinor below carbs? Are the boots to the engine still fairly soft or hard? If hard you'll need ones that aren't. Try some light amount of some w-d 40 or similar lube around the inside edge of the boots. Take your time and try to line them all up at same time and sometimes if you can tap them with your hand from behind they should pop on. terrylee

Comment

Use a hair dryer for ten minutes or so on the carb boots to warm them up and make them more pliable.

Spray them with silicone spray too.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

sorry, I probably did mean the cam chain tensioner, because it has knob on it. I just didn't know what it did. the boots were replaced a couple years ago, but they're definitely not hard. i had an easy time before I rebuilt the carbs, wondering if they aren't aligned or something. I'll try the wd-40.

Comment

Is there any chance you re-ganged the carbs in the wrong order?

Comment

Take a deep breath......become calm.

Now if the boots are old they are hard and that doesn't help. I use an electic paint stripper gun (looks like a hairdrier but more powerful) to heat them up. Put the heat to them but don't let them burst into flame. When soft again squirt the mouths with silicone lube or WD40 or your favourite lube.

The trick is to get the four carbs into the mouth of their respective boots then apply equal pressure to carb 1 and 4 to pop them in. To do this I find bar clamps to be the easiest, the type with the ratchet hand clamp.Clamp the front of the head and carb(one clamp on the left and right side)and squeeze them in.

If you don't have bar clamps you can also use a ratchet strap i.e. a ratcheting tie down strap. Place a piece of 2 x4 (or perhaps something thinner) the width of the rack of carbs on the intake side and wrap the strap around this and the front of the head. Use the ratchet to draw them in.

You can also lever them in using two pry bars or long screw drivers but you will need an assistant to work one bar. Place the tip of the bar or screw driver against the rear motor mount and with a piece of wood against the mouth of the carb push the bars forward popping them in.

Before putting the carbs back in its easiest to attach the cables I'm sure you'll find.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
              spyug
              Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I suppose I might have, but I was pretty careful, and every part fits perfectly. I don't know what other order they could go in, but never hurts to check I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
                  Take a deep breath......become calm.

Now if the boots are old they are hard and that doesn't help. I use an electic paint stripper gun (looks like a hairdrier but more powerful) to heat them up. Put the heat to them but don't let them burst into flame. When soft again squirt the mouths with silicone lube or WD40 or your favourite lube.

The trick is to get the four carbs into the mouth of their respective boots then apply equal pressure to carb 1 and 4 to pop them in. To do this I find bar clamps to be the easiest, the type with the ratchet hand clamp.Clamp the front of the head and carb(one clamp on the left and right side)and squeeze them in.

If you don't have bar clamps you can also use a ratchet strap i.e. a ratcheting tie down strap. Place a piece of 2 x4 (or perhaps something thinner) the width of the rack of carbs on the intake side and wrap the strap around this and the front of the head. Use the ratchet to draw them in.

You can also lever them in using two pry bars or long screw drivers but you will need an assistant to work one bar. Place the tip of the bar or screw driver against the rear motor mount and with a piece of wood against the mouth of the carb push the bars forward popping them in.

Before putting the carbs back in its easiest to attach the cables I'm sure you'll find.

I hope that helps a little bit.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
                  spyug
                  Had the same problem putting my carbs back in. Such a big problem I have been putting off taking them off because I dread putting them back again. I did use a bunch of silicone lube on the boots and that seemed to help. Spyug's advice makes me want to pull the carbs if there is hope to get the carbs back on with out breaking my back.

Comment

I'll give it a shot in the morning. I have an assistant, some long screwdrivers, a 2x4, some clamps, some wd-40, I will prevail!

Comment

I straddle the bike and push them in that way so you can get equal push on the carbs on my 1100E & Katana 1100. Try sticking the carbs in with them down in the rear then pushing up & in on them. They can be a bear but this works best for me. For got to mention some electrical silicone on the boots too
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2011, 04:51 PM. Reason: old

Comment

I used a bit of atf to lube the boots, thenplace the bottom lips of the carb mouth in the boots, and then pivot them up and in

Comment

Working...
                        X