mileage for a 82 1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mileage for a 82 1100E

I've done some searching but can't seem to find anything specific to my bike...what are you 1100 riders getting for mileage?

I just did a long multi-day trip and my mileage (if my calcs are right) was in the mid 30's. This seems pretty low to me.

The bike has been rejetted, and I do think I may be a bit rich on the needle jet, but I am thinking my riding style and extra weight of gear may be the primary issue.

I am probably 190lbs with gear on and was packing another 40 or 50 pounds of stuff. Averaged around 65-70mph with a fair bit of start and stop on the route.

What do you guys think?

What mods do you have? Pods? 4-1 pipe?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Aftermarket pipe, 4 into 2 but shorter than stock and minor baffling. K&N filter in a stock airbox. I believe the needles are DJ133, washer 4th from top, 117.5 mains and mikuni 47.5 pilot jets. Stock air jet.

Comment

I get mid to low thirtys with my mods.
        I say you are doing all right. The main seems right as does the pilot. Put another washer over the DJ washer (under the spacer) to lower the needle a half notch.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I get mid to high 40s under those conditions, but my bike is almost totally stock. All I have is a K&N in the stock box, stock needles with the washer mod.

Comment

I have a G, (8-valver), with open pipes, stock airbox, k&n air filter, 125 mains, outer 2 needles are .060" rich from stock and inner 2 are .040", stock pilot, 2-1/2 turns out, and I consistantly get 38 to 43 mpg. Sometimes 2 up riding and sometimes letting the pipes bark.

My ride to work is about 18 to 20 miles each way with mixed 1/2 and 1/2 highway and stoplight streets. On my work trip I allways het over 40mpg.

Comment

Cool, thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'm in the ballpark. I'll try the washer Chef, and see how she goes.

Comment

MPG on a GS or ZRX or any bike is a result of acceleration.
                Most of my GSes got mid 40s cruising at 70mph on the interstate.
                Get into the twisties and start racking gears, and wicking it up out of apexes and it would drop to high 30s.

The Rex is a little different. Geared quite a bit differently than a GS, a freeway cruise at 70 got me near 50mpg before. But in twisties, pushing hard, you'll see it drop as low as 32mpg.
                In the city with lots of stop and go, even if I'm gentle with the throttle, I get 35-37mpg. There's just no way around it. Litre bikes drink fuel when you put the spurs to em.
                Stop worrying about it anyway. Riding a bike to "save money on gas" is false economy. Besides, who cares about miles per gallon, it's more about smiles per gallon

Comment

I think TCK is right here. ALthough my bike is ALOT smaller than yours, I'm hitting mid-40s in town cruising between 65 and 70 with bursts up to 80 at times (finally pegged it for 30 seconds today at 85). If I get in town for a lot of driving or am in the mountains, I'll hit closer to 50 but that's rare right now. I too wanted to save money by reducing my fuel costs so I was a little worried about economy (still am to a point). But honestly, even if I fill up every day I'm still saving about $50 - $80 a week over what I'm paying for fuel on the truck. So I've started to relax and just enjoy driving. I'm paying more attention to having fun on my straight shot to work than anything else and it's helping.

Even with your big bike, just drive to enjoy yourself...the fuel savings will come on their own and in their own way.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    MPG on a GS or ZRX or any bike is a result of acceleration.
                    Most of my GSes got mid 40s cruising at 70mph on the interstate.
                    Get into the twisties and start racking gears, and wicking it up out of apexes and it would drop to high 30s.

The Rex is a little different. Geared quite a bit differently than a GS, a freeway cruise at 70 got me near 50mpg before. But in twisties, pushing hard, you'll see it drop as low as 32mpg.
                    In the city with lots of stop and go, even if I'm gentle with the throttle, I get 35-37mpg. There's just no way around it. Litre bikes drink fuel when you put the spurs to em.
                    Stop worrying about it anyway. Riding a bike to "save money on gas" is false economy. Besides, who cares about miles per gallon, it's more about smiles per gallon

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post

Even with your big bike, just drive to enjoy yourself...the fuel savings will come on their own and in their own way.
                    I wouldn't say I'm worried about it, mainly I want to be sure that I'm not wasting fuel with poor tuning. I went from a stock 750 to the modded 1100 and its a big difference in mileage. But your right about the "smiles per gallon." That's why I bought the bike, its more fun than (almost ) anything else!

Thanks again, great to have some real world points of reference.

Comment

I hit reserve after 180 miles and then top off with 4 gallons.

Box stock, 87 oct (with ethanol), loose valve adj, coil relay mod.

x (y/z) ~+.[%]= ????

Ahhh ?...you do the math .
                      Last edited by bonanzadave; 08-26-2011, 08:45 AM.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

My best mileage so far? 42mpg. Worst? 31.5mpg (I think my avg speed was 79 for that one).

Comment

Working...
                        X