GS550E 1980 carburetor fuel joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E 1980 carburetor fuel joint

After rebuilding my GS550E\1980 carburetors I noticed some fuel liking from joint fuel supply. I was searching internet but I did not see that part available. There are no orings on that joint so nothing to replace. Is there any way to seal or fix that joint to prevent fuel liking?
    Thanks

if you dont want to take the carbs off i cant really think of an effective way to stop that connector from leaking, only thing you can really do is gob some sort of adhesive on there and hope it stops. you should really just replace the joint, or find some sort of tape or sealant that you can wrap around the ends to make them a little tighter. plumbers tape might work but i doubt it will hold up well to how corrosive gas is... carbs are so essential to the proper functioning of the bike that i would just take it off and do it right...

sorry about your luck,
    ~Nate

Comment

Just went through this with my gs400. The fuel tee adapter was leaking where it joined the carb. While it is not listed on any of the drawings, in the clymer, or an any oem parts lists (that i could find at least), the Tee is removable. Mine was just a tension fit- no orings or gaskets visible. i took it apart (carefully) -cleand the joints up and applied a liquid gasket compound. Seems to have worked. just watch out for "crumbs" of the gasket material breaking off when you put the fuel tee back on. I had a few tiny bits that got flushed through the adapter/fuel line and caused the float valve to stick open.

good luck

Comment

get RTV (i think its RTV) blue gasket maker, its the sensor safe kind.

it wont "crumb" like many other gasket makers, it dries soft and rubber like.

it will flex or peel off before it starts to break apart into little pieces.

Comment

Working...
        X