82 gs 750 velocity stacks question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs 750 velocity stacks question

If i wanted to remove the stock airbox etc., and add stacks or individual air filters on each carb would I have to rejet the carbs? where would i find these items?

Thanks to all!

im currently in the same boat. i can tell you that the jets are available from tucker rocky or western power sports. i installed individual pod filters on my 81 gs750. starts and idles fine, dies at part throttle. removed the carbs(sooooooo much easier without the factory aribox) and went 2 sizes bigger on the main jets and ended up with the same result. some people tell me there is such a thing as letter drills which can be used to make your jets bigger one step at a time until the bike will run right. lots of patience involve since the carbs will need to be removed several times to get it right. also ive been told that the 2 outer carbs will pull more air than the inner carbs, not sure if you just jet the outer carbs bigger or what. ill be keeping an eye on this thread for any tips on this project as I would love to get rid of that airbox setup.

Comment

You don't really want stacks as they are difficult to set up and offer no air filtering.They are not really designed for street use. Pods are a little easier but you need to get good quality like K&N or Ape. The Emgos you see everywhere are crap. No Air restriction and worse, no air filtering.

When you add pods you are making the airflow increas which makes the fuel mixture more lean. You will need to up the jet sizes to compensate. There is no set formula for this as it also is influenced by the type of exhaust setup you have. It becomes an exercise of trial and error. You could start with perhaps two sizes up and check the results by doing "plug chops" (look that up if you're unfamiliar). The idea is to get the plugs to show a full mixture burn resulting in a residue that is tan to chocolate brown in colour. If its white, its too lean, if black and wet, too rich.

Pods and jets can be obtained from just about any decent bike shop or ,of course, via the internet from guys like our buddies at Z1 Enterprises, or Bike Bandit and the like.

Be advised that while they may look cool, they do generally take some fiddling to get the bike to run right. You may need to change jets up and down several times to get them spot on.

Do some reading (in the archives) and have fun with it.

Cheers,
      Spyug

Comment

Yes the jetting would have to be changed - maybe needle too.

Check the vendors list for various suppliers.

What's your reason for getting rid of the stock air box?
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

For looks & ease of "messing around" - pods are great..... BUT ...as already said, getting them dialled in 100% can be hard work.

For ease of tuning (mild stuff) just keep the air box & fir a K&N filter (direct standard replacement).

These old 26/28 Mik's are not very versatile and to be honest, rather than spending loads on jets, needles, etc, why not get a decent set of RS34's. They may cost a bit more, but treat them as an investment, you can always sell them on at a later date.

If you're thinking of fitting pods to CV carbs don't bother - they are not worth the effort, get some slide carbs instead. Old Kawasaki (Z/KZ) have the same spacing if you come across some cheap.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2011, 04:27 AM. Reason: Fine tuning!

Comment

what are these rs34's you speak of? do you mean i could find some carbs off an older kawi and swap them? im very intrigued.

Comment

Working...
            X