Gas tank help! 82 Gs850gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank help! 82 Gs850gl

Will a non turning/ non sealing gas cap be the reason for air bubbles in my fuel line while the bike is running? Also the petcock which appears to be stock doesnt allow any gas to flow while set to pri(me)... Looking for an entire tank w/ petcock and gas cap w/ key. Anyone know where i could find a stock replacement for any one of these?

Air bubbles in the line and non-flowing petcock? Probably the petcock filter just clogged.

Z1 Enterprises and Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatratbiker850 View Post
      Also the petcock which appears to be stock doesnt allow any gas to flow while set to pri(me)...
      Are you sure you are turning it the right way?

It took me a while to figure it out, too, but with the lever pointing forward (rotated fully clockwise), it is in REServe. Pointing down is ON. Pointing rearward (rotated fully anti-clockwise) is PRIme.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve, does the '82 GL require a pulse of vacuum from the carbs to the get the prime flowing like the '80 GL does?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

This thread might be of some help in removing the gas cap without the key:

Once you have the lock cylinder out you can remove the cap with a pair of chopsticks or similar.

Partsnmore.com sells new replacement gas caps. They're fairly faithful reproductions of the originals, but the bore for the lock cylinder is larger than the OEM ones (I think so they could use some other standard lock cylinder). So you can't use an OEM lock cylinder on it to key everything the same. One potential solution is to remove the tumblers from the partsnmore lock cylinder (theirs fall right out), so any key would fit the gas cap (or a screwdriver for that matter!).

Comment

I also should have mentioned that many of the lock cylinders have a 3-digit code stamped on them - though some don't. You can have fresh keys cut based on that code. Rapidray, a member here, can cut keys for you based on that code. That's assuming the non-turning is because you don't have the correct matching key.

Comment

thats a good question Dogma! that might be the case! and it makes sense. my filter looks clean as a whistle and in good shape... OBB has the cheapest ive found but still steep for a starving artist. still, what about the gas cap not sealing? would it cause air in the line? gonna seal it off tonight and check... the other part on the tank is just a sending unit right? it doesnt have a part in actually moving the fuel into the line/carb/motor? or does it act as a pump? can i run this bike with this part disconnected?.... 10 min. later, thanks to this site i just found a great looking(functional) gas cap w/ keys! hell yeah!
              Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2011, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Im just gonna fork over the cash on a new petcock. I found an oem gas cap from a gsr guy also. This site is just friggin Awesome for a guy like me. The ppl here are a tremendous help and are the only reason i havent pushed my bike into a lake!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  Steve, does the '82 GL require a pulse of vacuum from the carbs to the get the prime flowing like the '80 GL does?
                  Nope. The '80 is the only one that I know of that does that.

And I am VERY thankful that not all of the '80 petcocks are that way. My 850G and your 1000G have "normal" ones.

Originally posted by Tatratbiker850 View Post
                  ... OBB has the cheapest ive found but still steep for a starving artist.
                  By "OBB" do you mean "Old Bike Barn"?

It has been so long since I have heard that name, I almost forgot about them.

I think the general concensus here is that they are overpriced and unreliable, and should probably be avoided whenever possible.

Did you notice your "Welcome package" from BassCliff? There is a list of vendors there that is MUCH better than OBB.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

^^^what he said. I got my replacement petcocks from Z1 and PartShark.

I can't remember, does anyone know if Partshark still requires a signature for delivery? I remember you could add a note requesting they don't for your order. I'll find out soon enough, since I just placed an order with them.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

There is a guy located in Florida (georgefix) that carries nearly all of the petcocks for these bikes. He can be found in a simple search for Suzuki petcock, on Ebay. His prices are good and he is fast at shipping. Ordered a few things for the 850 project from him.

Comment

Well i got the bike running. Rough but still alot to do. The previous owner put an inline filter on the fuel line that just killed the flow. Idk but it runs at least. Note taken on OBB and georgefix. Vent line 1-2 still spilling. Faith in humanity restored none the less.

Comment

Well i got the bike running. Rough but still alot to do. The previous owner put an inline filter on the fuel line that just killed the flow. Idk but it runs at least. Note taken on OBB and georgefix. Vent line 1-2 still spilling. Faith in humanity restored none the less.

Comment

Working...
                          X