Stock exhaust chopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock exhaust chopped

What kind of effect would it have on an 82 850gl if the stock exhaust was cut short about 2inches past the passenger foot pegs? I IMAGINE that it would be too far back to noticably affect the idling/running of the motor considering the stock airbox(w/ k&n stock shaped filter) has been reconditioned and sealed and the exhaust is original. Carbs have just been carefully cleaned/rebuilt also.

Almost definitely make it loud as heck. How many inches are you talking about cutting off? Just removing 1 baffle can make it necessary to re-jet

Comment

You plan to cut these, or they've already been cut?

You other thread ask about a hole in the airbox where the snorkle should go, and you have a K&N-looking filter in there. With hole in the aibox and a possibly higher flow filter, you may be in need of some re-jetting already.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi,

Yes, re-jetting the carbs would be necessary if you didn't want to burn holes in your pistons. Any modification to intake or exhaust requires adjustment to fuel/air mixture.

I encourage you to be considerate of others.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

it was already cut. they chopped it about 2" behind the rear peg where the pipe starts to cone out... is that where the baffle was located? it has a stock shaped k&n filter in the rebuilt stock airbox, not pods. ill post a pic of my behemoth monstrosity ASAP. currently trying to get the motor back to factory settings and equipment cuz apparently the smallest mod kills the bike. this site is an enormous help and a gold mine of knowledge!

Comment

i also sealed off any excess air leaks in the box per the tutorial. anyone know of a place/site to find oem intake boots and clamps at a decent cost? this is my last missing link before i fire it up and ride off into the sunset! the previous guy apparently lost all the originals and didnt bother to match them. some people have no respect... this a classic for goodness sakes! you cant just jerry rig it back together!

Comment

Upon further inspection, the baffles are still in place. They just cut off the ends of the pipe. Damn bike still wont even start after carb rebuild/bench sync, airbox refurbish, new clamps, new plugs... Errrrrrr!

Comment

Just keep finding and fixing the problems. The bike can't resist a determined and methodical mechanic.

What all did you do to get it started? Is there another thread I haven't seen yet?
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                X