Throttle & choke ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle & choke ?

New guy here my son bought a 81 gs1000gx and we're in the process of putting biking back together and for some reason when I twist the throttle bike dies and If I pull choke cable It will rev. It doesn't make sense, I double checked cable locations and according to clymer manual guy he bought It from had throttle cable hooked to choke so I switched It and wondered could It be in carbs or is manual wrong?

You will need to go through the carbs completely. BassCliff will have the info in his megawelcome, but let me give you a link to his site: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

If you do not have a factory service manual, download the pdf there.
    For the carbs, on the right side select CV Carburetor Rebuild Guide. Follow it step by step, don't cut any corners. Most parts will be available at cycleorings.com, but also get a set of fuel bowl gaskets, available everywhere.
    If you do it correctly, you will have overcome the biggest challenge to restoring a GS. The other being the electrical system, but we'll get to that later.

Comment

Thanks for the link . Alot of info that will help out.

Comment

Putting the choke on will increase the idle speed, that's normal. You need a good carb clean and an air box seal

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          Putting the choke on will increase the idle speed, that's normal. You need a good carb clean and an air box seal
          A good point, Lynn. When you rework the carbs, rework the entire intake system. This is 30 year old intake system you are talking about, and hardened rubber does not seal correctly. Once you replace it, the smiles will follow.

Comment

Thanks for all the info atleast we now know it runs. So the next step will be to tear done complete bike and get cleaning and painting.

Comment

Working...
            X