Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

choke cable snapped, replacement options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choke cable snapped, replacement options?

Well I went to take my 85 GS700e out for a spin before Hurricane Irene moved in for the weekend and when I went to close the choke, the cable snapped

What are my replacement options? Are cables from the same era the same for the most part? I'd like to avoid buying one from the dealership, but if I had to, would they even be able to get me one?

Yes, oem cables are still available and are the way to go. Why are you so worried about getting them from the dealership?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I guess I'm just used to dealerships having outrageous prices but a choke cable shouldn't be too much ....I hope

Comment

Well, you aren't saying if yours is the EF or ESF so here's one for the EF:

CABLE,THROTTLE
        58300-45501 (replaces 58300-31311) 1$18.93$15.45

and one for the ESF

CABLE, THROTTLE
        58300-31301 1$18.60$15.18

Both of these are from Partshark.com, a dealer in Greenwood IN. The first price is the list price while the second is what they are selling it for.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

You can buy it from OEM suppliers on-line, but with shipping charges it would be more than at the stealership. But certainly go OEM either way, the aftermarket ones just don't measure up IMHO.
          And be sure and lube it prior to installation, lack of periodic maintenance is a large factor in cable failure.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            But certainly go OEM either way, the aftermarket ones just don't measure up IMHO.
            And be sure and lube it prior to installation, lack of periodic maintenance is a large factor in cable failure.
            Thanks, will do. Any special lubricant and/or procedure?

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Well, you aren't saying if yours is the EF or ESF
            Thats because it's just the E ...like I posted . But thanks for the effort

Comment

The F is the year of the bike and some people will leave off any other designations occasionally.

Good luck on getting the things you need.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

cowboy is correct, we just need to know if it is an E or an ES, b/c things be different.
                AFA lubing the cables, there are several paths. I used to hang them up and dribble 3-in-1 oil down it until it came out the other end. You can also buy an adapter and a can of cable lube and spray it down. Much quicker and more expensive. Dealers choice.

Comment

I'd love to just convert to the little carb mounted lever instead of a choke cable - so much easier.
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Pluses and minuses. (I hope I spelled those words correctly.) My GPz has the carb mounted choke. Easy to use but I have to reach down to the carbs to set/change it. All my other bikes had this, so it is not a radical change.
                    The GS has the bar mounted lever; I can move it without reaching down, but I am constantly fiddling with it whilst warming up. IDK, dealer's choice I guess.
                    And you could probably convert, but I am not sure the cost and labour would be worth it. IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                      I'd love to just convert to the little carb mounted lever instead of a choke cable - so much easier.
                      The way the choke is set up makes this harder......No now that I'm thinking on it you could do a push/pull one on the end.

Comment

I -think- it wouldn't be terribly involved to get the right parts but yeah it's probably not worth it. It's just so silly to have that stupid cable to contend with (mostly a pain when working on the carbs) a carb mounted choke is so easy and accessible. Oh well.
                        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Yes, oem cables are still available and are the way to go. Why are you so worried about getting them from the dealership?
                          why not the dwealership? example, stock air filter 15 on ebay shipping included, 50 at my local suzuki dealer.

Comment

The $15 fleabay filter would be an aftermarket filter, which would probably be fine. We are recommending an OEM cable, and the stealership price would be close to a fleabay OEM cable. Once you factor in shipping, the stealership would have a similar price, if not cheaper.
                            If you insist on aftermarket, MotionPro would surely make one, and you can most likely get it at Z1Enterprises. I personally have not been happy with the MotionPro cables I have purchased and would not purchase another one.

Comment

I agree the local stealership isn't always the best place to get things but that's why you shop around. You'll find however that the web-based dealerships will still be a better deal than Ebay for your basic things.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                              X