Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs450s tank onto a gs450T frame: Bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450s tank onto a gs450T frame: Bad idea?

I have a gs450T that I have been riding for several years now with a somewhat ratty gas tank, so I went out and got a replacement tank from a GS450s, since I like the boxy shape of the S tank better.

Since it was an old part, I've spent the last few weeks sandblasting, repainting, and fixing dents and dings with bodyfill and dry ice, but when I went to mount it up to see how it would look, I found the two pucks near the triple tree where it mounts are too far apart. The 'S' tank comes together to about 3" and the old tank fits the little puck bar where it is, at 5" wide.

Also, the coils that run to the spark plugs are welded on to brackets on the outside of the frame under that tank, making the bike require an extra wide tank.

I'm hoping this problem sounds familiar to someone, because I'm very much an amateur and to me this seems like I need to cut off the coils and re-mount them elsewhere, and I have no idea what to do about the mounting bar with the pucks on the ends up front. If I just cut the bar down, is it possible to replace the little puck bumpers?

I'm mostly just looking for some reassurance I'm not about to do something really stupid before I start cutting into a mostly perfectly good bike. If anyone has thoughts about where to mount the coils (where are they on gs450s's?) or anything else I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks all

(I'm out traveling atm but I can upload some pictures soon)

I did the same exact thing with my 81' and 83' I just decided to throw everything onto my 83'. Before i came up with that bright idea i was going to do the same please keep me posted with your project i'm interested to see how it comes out. as far as i could see i didn't think it was going to be a problem but i'm no pro pretty ameture myself!

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. vagrantpilot,

While I have no direct experience, it should possible to relocate the mount points on the frame so that the new tank will fit. Other modifications may be required. On all the GS bikes the coils mount to the frame under the gas tank. It sounds like you'll have to make some modifications to relocate those too. Depending on your fabrication skills (or those of your friends' or shop), it may be easier to be patient and find the proper tank.

Anyway, I just stopped by to do this...

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

I did something similar.

Watch this video.
        Here is my 1980 Suzuki GS450L.First got it in May 2010. Just showing how I have progressed up until now. It's still a work in progress, as you can see. Part ...

The part you'd be most interested in will start at the 2 min. 10 sec mark.

So... I started with a 1980 Suzuki GS450L. Then I got myself a 1979 Suzuki GS400 gas tank. The GS400 gas tank's tunnel is much narrower than the GS450L's tank and the whole GS400 tank itself was a bit longer.

The solution? Chop off the coil mounts then grind it smooth. Chop off the pucks and relocate them in front. There are already holes in the frame for that. Then I zip tied the coils under the frame's little space underneath the tank.

Comment

@chainsaws: Thanks for the video, that was exactly what I needed to see, awesome.

@Cliff: Wow, that IS a welcome, thanks! I especially like the noobie mistake list, I've already made a few, so now perhaps no more! I had a shop work on a bad gasket and changing a fork seal, they charged an arm and a leg. been reading through the rest as I go.
          Here's the bike hanging out a week or so ago:

and heres a little more like its current condition:

Not to clutter up a gas tank thread too much but this was right before the carbs came off to clean and soak, and if not for some stuff in your post I would have WAY overpaid for the O rings I needed and missed the flat boot-ring problem that is probably causing the vacuum leak I'm chasing to begin with. So again, many thanks! I'l keep y'all posted.

@zomb: I hear ya, live and learn I guess!
          Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X