No announcement yet.

petcock nightmares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It means your bike has mix and match pieces. The petcock is not correct for your bike (the vacuum nipple would come out at an angle). That means that you got the wrong rebuild kit. Sadly, the rebuild kits don't work well even for the correct petcock.

The intake boots are Kawasaki, seen by the rubber plug on the nipple. They do not use o-rings, they tend to leak air, and they do not match up so well.

I'm glad you tore into the carbs: they almost always have problems. The hanging idle can come from air leaks OR partially plugged pilot jets. Soaking the pilots is not enough: there can be hard deposits that do not come out with soaking. I use a very fine strand copper wire, strip it back 2", and use 1 or 2 strands to ream out the jet orifice until it pulls through with no resistance. The copper is much softer than the brass, so it won't gouge.

Comment

Well taking the gasket off that was between the intake boot and head it ripped, I cant seem to find these gaskets anywhere, it might have not even been a OEM part and someone just put it there.

Comment

Well heres an update on my nightmare (haha)

Got a new Fuel petcock, holy balls, fuel stays INSIDE the tank. This is phenomenal!

Took apart the carbs and cleaned them. Put them back on the bike. I cant open PDF files on this computer and have been busy near computers that can. I dont know what the true idle and fuel screw adjustments are.

Right now the bike has the air screws (screws on top) all the way in. I beleive the fuel screws are out 1.5 turns. She runs, not perfect. I wish someone just knew the jet size and settings for a gs1000 with pod filters, or could get me close.

The biggest update apart from the petcock would be the hanging revs. This one was so simple it just got over looked. When giving the bike a quick rev and letting off, the throttle bracket doesnt return back to position quickly. Holding a screw driver with pressure on it, revving it and letting off, she comes down alot faster.

progess.

Comment

Got a new Fuel petcock, holy balls, fuel stays INSIDE the tank. This is phenomenal!

just went though a similar ordeal with a bike I acquired this summer. Petcock always leaked. Cut the handle and filed off the tap so I could turn it up past the tank to physically close the passage. That really only worked if the knob was at exactly 11 o'clock and still was iffy. I finally bought a new one a few weeks ago and it was truly a sublime experience when I first put it on.

Comment

Working...
          X