choke cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choke cable

I have been slowly taking apart my 1982 GS650G to restore it, and I cannot figure out how the choke cable comes off of the carb assembly. The throttle cable was easy. I have a Clymer manual, but the pictures/directions don't seem to match up with what must be done.

How does this thing come off?

Originally posted by GS650G1982 View Post
    I have been slowly taking apart my 1982 GS650G to restore it, and I cannot figure out how the choke cable comes off of the carb assembly. The throttle cable was easy. I have a Clymer manual, but the pictures/directions don't seem to match up with what must be done.

How does this thing come off?
    You need to have slack in cable (i.e. at handlebar end) to rotate the the "plug" at carb end so it pops out.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Jim,

how did you make out with removing the choke cable?

I don't recall it being all that difficult, but without sitting in front of my 650GD I can't recall the exact steps. I do recall that removing it from from the keeper piece requires a bit of a twisting motion, like making a large overhand loop motion in a rope. I didn't need all that much slack to do it on my carbs, but I had already removed the carb bank from the boots and shifted it forward a hair. You will not be able to remove it at all if you have the choke engaged.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

After taking a closer look at it, I saw something very simple that I was missing:

There is a spring loaded pin and when I manually slid that back, I was able to remove the cable from the bracket on the end.

I am still going to have to dremmel the original screws holding the intake boots on, as they are almost all stripped, but I am making some solid progress on this now.

Comment

Originally posted by GS650G1982 View Post

I am still going to have to dremmel the original screws holding the intake boots on, as they are almost all stripped, but I am making some solid progress on this now.
          A decent 6 inch long vice-grip can sometimes grab these things and then you can turn the vice-grip with another wrench just enough to break them free. Of course, that's after you've enjoyed pushing the air box assembly back and removing the carbs from the boots- what fun!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Removing the carbs from the boots wasn't too bad actually, but the air box assembly was a bit of a pain.

Comment

Working...
            X