Fuel additive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel additive?

I just got my 850 back from the repair shop. Had them clean the carbs and figure out why she's been running but popping a lot. Was told that the ethanol gas messes with the old bikes and gums up the carbs. My dad has been running stabil is his 78 550E and was thinkin about doin the same. Does anyone use some kind of fuel additive to help correct this issue or is stabil ok?

The only thing that I add to the fuel on a regular basis is ... AIR.

Once in a great while might add half a can of Seafoam, but nothing "regularly".

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I use Starbrite Star Tron, helps stabilize the fuel and reduce the ill effects of ethanol gas, which starts a phase separation after 2 weeks.
      Seems to work for me. Shame we should have to worry about the ethanol gas in the first place, such a high price for a gallon of gas and such a poor product to put in our tanks. If you ride frequently and can consume a tank of gas within two weeks, I'd probably not use anything though.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

"The only thing that I add to the fuel on a regular basis is ... AIR.

Once in a great while might add half a can of Seafoam, but nothing "regularly".
        "

I completely agree with Steve. I've used Seafoam in my carbureted dirtbikes. It works very well.

---Also works well in cars!

Comment

I add a couple of oz of seafoam to every-other tank fill-up... Haven't had any issues. I burn through a couple of tanks a week at least...

My tank is coated on the inside with POR-15 as well - no ill effects on the coating either.

For Winter Storage, I add about 2-3 oz of Seafoam per gallon to a full tank. I then run the engine until I can smell the Seafoam & see white smoke from the exhaust (maybe 2 min), that way I know the carbs are full of "treated" fuel. Come spring, the bike starts right up using the same fuel that's in the tank - no need to drain it & get fresh fuel, it runs just fine.

mike
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Do these fuel additives work as i was thinking of running some in my Gs1085s?.
            or are they just another con.
            also i have read they are going to double the ethanol in petrol from 5 percent to 10 percent.

Comment

Hub-Some places around me have up to (IIRC) 15%. But, I'm also in Maryland.

I think thats also whats causing the problems. Anyway, I'll snag a bottle of seafoam and add that to my tank.

Comment

I can only speak to Seafoam. I put a couple ounces in the tank about every third or fourth tankful and I haven't had any carb gumming issues.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I think that shop is feeding you a line of BS. All of my motorcycles have run fine on gas with 10% ethanol and the ethanol isn't what gums up the carburetors. Ethanol does damage rubber parts of they are made of a susceptible kind of rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by FiremanBob View Post
                    I think that shop is feeding you a line of BS. All of my motorcycles have run fine on gas with 10% ethanol and the ethanol isn't what gums up the carburetors. Ethanol does damage rubber parts of they are made of a susceptible kind of rubber.
                    I think a large part of the ethanol problem is that it evaporates quickly from the fuel mixture, leaving behind a higher concentration non-volatile residues (NVR's) that tend to gum up the works. The seafoam is not only is a stabilizer, but also cleans as well.
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
                      I just got my 850 back from the repair shop. Had them clean the carbs and figure out why she's been running but popping a lot. Was told that the ethanol gas messes with the old bikes and gums up the carbs. My dad has been running stabil is his 78 550E and was thinkin about doin the same. Does anyone use some kind of fuel additive to help correct this issue or is stabil ok?
                      this is simmilar to my Gs1085s was running loverly, till i took it of the road and stored it till the spring this yr,now it runs to 5000rpm and splutters and dies when it ticks over its popping and banging ,carbs been stripped cleaned been in a sonic cleaning tank still the same.
                      have located a supplier of seafoam over here in uk ,so far i have ridden Gs 200miles all summer and spent a fortune on things that dont make any differance.

Comment

i run acetone in my bike and car, about 1-2% ratio. works fine, better fuel consumption, cleaner carbs and combustion chambers, cheap as hell.
                        got to be pure acetone not crappy nail varnish remover acetone
                        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Seafoam, put it my Accord and within a mile I could tell it had cleaned the injectors, you could feel it actually begin to pull better.

Comment

I use regular riding instead of magic potions. Just ride the thing once in a while and you'll never have a problem caused by the gas.

Instead of driving to the auto parts store and wasting your money on a bottle of mouse milk, ride the bike to a cool country store and have a burger.

What I'm getting at here is that if your bike is running right and it gets to go somewhere every couple of weeks, there's absolutely no need for any additives.

For long-term storage, use Sta-Bil according to the label directions and fill the tank.

Or get some heated grips and warm gear and keep riding...
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I quite often pop some Redex in the tank in the UK. It works sometimes as a lazy man's carb cleaner and it does keep the carbon down. It doesn't improve fuel consumtion or power though - well not so you would notice.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X