Fuel additive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    I quite often pop some Redex in the tank in the UK. It works sometimes as a lazy man's carb cleaner and it does keep the carbon down. It doesn't improve fuel consumtion or power though - well not so you would notice.
    thats what i normally buy could i got the wrong one this time?
    it didnt have any effect.

Comment

Originally posted by gshub View Post
      thats what i normally buy could i got the wrong one this time?
      it didnt have any effect.
      If I get hold of a bike that hasn't run for a while and isn't running properly I'll often shove a load of Redex in the tank just to see what happens and I'm often surprised by how much it can 'freshen' things up. It's not a panacea for all ills though, nor is it a substitute for proper carb cleaning.

On the other hand I have been under impressed by some carbs that have been cleaned sonically by professionals. Last year I got a Puch M125 (remember them?) going for a lad. The carb was beautifully clean on the outside but the inners were still full of 30 years of crap.

I keep meaning to get a sonic cleaner of my own - just to save some of the drudgery of cleaning really sh!tty carbs so I'm not against them.

Did you get the wrong Redex? Pass. I doubt you would do any harm though if you did.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

ultrasonic cleaners are great. i got one. not just for carbs but almost anything comes out clinically spotless
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
        X