Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use any of the kawasaki carbs on a 1977 gs750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you use any of the kawasaki carbs on a 1977 gs750?

????

And if so, what, if anything needs to be done to make it work?

I am finding a lot more used carbs from kwapasokis than suzukis.

For sure the kz650 carbs are the same size, same port distance and same type (VM26SS)
    Likely the jetting and needles may be different, I have a set of both in my shop right now and out of curiosity checked the measurements center to center and they match up.
    And actually, if you need a set, I have a set for sale. I'm not sure what the jet sizes and needle markings are in them, but aside from that difference they're exactly the same as a set of carbs I have for a GS750 I'm working on. They'd need dipped and new Orings, and if the jets and needles are different, that would need corrected as well, but I likely have all that stuff too. If you were interested in purchasing them, I would even be willing to clean/rebuild them for you for a little extra.

I'm going o guess that likely the carbs from a kz750 four, 900 and 1000 would also have the same spacing, but some of the bigger KZs used VM28 "pumpers" (they had an accelerator pump) over the 26s, and while they'd work, would be different to tune than the 26s slightly.

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

Slide cutaways are different between the Kwacks and Suzuki. I forget which way round it is. Might work out better if you're going with K&Ns though.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I would prefer to use the stock airbox. Is a set of kwaks going to make it so I have to use pods?

Comment

The slide valve affects carburetion between 1/8 thru 1/2 throttle. It especially affects it between 1/8 and 1/4 and has a lesser affect up to 1/2. The slides come in various sizes and the size is determined by how much is cutaway from the backside of it. The larger the cutaway, the leaner the mixture (since more air is allowed through it) and the smaller the cutaway, the richer the mixture will be. Throttle valves have numbers on them that explains how much the cutaway is. If there is a 3 stamped into the slide, it has a 3.0mm cutaway, while a 1 will have a 1.0mm cutaway (which will be richer than a 3) and so on.

Your 750 probably has a 1.5 stamped on them, but as it's a '77 you might (slim chance) have 2.5. Z900s had 1.5 (I think) and I just found this on the Z1 site:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Anyway, aside from all the bumpf, you'll be able to make them work and it might be real easy.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              The slide valve affects carburetion between 1/8 thru 1/2 throttle. It especially affects it between 1/8 and 1/4 and has a lesser affect up to 1/2. The slides come in various sizes and the size is determined by how much is cutaway from the backside of it. The larger the cutaway, the leaner the mixture (since more air is allowed through it) and the smaller the cutaway, the richer the mixture will be. Throttle valves have numbers on them that explains how much the cutaway is. If there is a 3 stamped into the slide, it has a 3.0mm cutaway, while a 1 will have a 1.0mm cutaway (which will be richer than a 3) and so on.

Your 750 probably has a 1.5 stamped on them, but as it's a '77 you might (slim chance) have 2.5. Z900s had 1.5 (I think) and I just found this on the Z1 site:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Anyway, aside from all the bumpf, you'll be able to make them work and it might be real easy.

Now that is cool. Opens up a large area for old parts that I can put to use.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X