82 gs850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs850g

I'm having issues with the idle on my 1982 gs850g sometime it'll idle fine at about 1100-1200 rpm and other times it'll dip down then up a bit and die. I have to keep playing with the choke whenever I come to a light or stop. Anyone have any ideas on this ?

Would this be a carb issue or an Electrical issue ? I just changed my Voltage regulator and stator.

Sounds like you may have an intake leak.
    Have the carbs been cleaned??
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Its a carb issue. like octain said you might have an intake leak but I have run across issues like what you have and it ended up being a fuel mix issue, I dont know if you have the same carbs as me or not. I am not familiar with the 850's. I know I settled my idle correctly doing The Highest RPM test. I believe that was on Basscliffs site. Taking time to clean the carbs is your best bet.

Comment

thanks for the info guys i'll be taking it apart soon I want to get some more riding in this month before the end of the season. Can you explain to me a bit more about an intake leak ? I'm a newbie what is an intake leak ?

Comment

Exactly like it sounds. the boots connected to both sides of the carbs are where your leaks mostly occur. No cracks should be evident and they should be pliable and not stiff. Some people say they baby them and silicone them but I think that is not right and yea they can be pricey but its the only way to do it right. I have a propane tank with a hose connected to it and a weed burner nozzle. I idle the bike and let the propane drizzle around the all boots and wait to see if there is a RPM jump. Its alot safer and less messy and damaging than spraying starting fluid (a no-no)or WD-40 (shows a weak bog, Not reliable) as some do. I also found that by increasing the RPM's to 2000 ish increases the potential for finding the vacuum leaks as its sucking air in a bit harder.

Comment

Hi,

I'm thinking carb or intake issue.

Go back to your thread in the "Owners" section and read your "mega-welcome". You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my little website. You have a 30 year old bike that probably needs 20 years worth of maintenance. Do all of the required maintenance tasks properly so you and your bike will be insanely happy.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2011, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X