Throttle Wide Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Wide Open

Need help. When I crank my 1981 Suzuki 1000 GS the throttle stays wide open as soon as I crank it. What could be making it do this. Thanks for any help on this.

Welcome.
    1)Kinked cable
    2)sticky cable
    3)broken cable binding in sheath
    4)gummed up carb linkages
    5)choke on
    6) any combination thereof

Is the throttle tight or binding at all when you twist it? The most likely thing is a binding cable. Have you tried cleaning and lubing it? If its tight it likely is the cable fraying inside the sheath and jamming. You might need to change it.

Good luck with it.

cheers,
    spyug

Comment

the throttle cable is not hooked up and it is still wide open, cable not kinked, binding in sheath or any of that. I've checked all of that. I can't figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions though
      Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2011, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Yea ur linkage is prolly gummy. Tear off your carbs and clean em up. Read Basscliffs site.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. tbike,

You have a 30 year old motorcycle that probably needs 20 years worth of maintenance. This particular issue could be caused by intake air leaks, sticky choke or throttle mechanisms, or other maladjustment or maintenance item. If you do all of the required maintenance properly (from carbs, to electrical, to brakes, etc), you and your bike will be insanely happy. Let's roll up our sleeves and get started.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Don't forget there is an idle adjustment screw on the carb that may be turned in too far.

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
              Don't forget there is an idle adjustment screw on the carb that may be turned in too far.
              I was going to say this too. Or you have major airleaks, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
                Look for the simple easy stuff first. +1
                1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                1983 GS 1100 G
                2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                X