High Idle after warm up??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Idle after warm up??

Hello, I'm running an 82 650G. My first GS. The bike starts fine with choke on. After a few mins choke gets turned off and for the first ten mins or so of riding the idle is right where it should be right around 1000. Then as the bike warms up the idle goes up to around 3-4000. The carbs have been inspected and cleaned but not synched. The throttle seems to be running fine. Any thoughts? Air Intake? Throttle screws? Idle adjuster? Thanks.

First of all, WELCOME.

Next, I know it can be overwhelming at first, but a quick trip through the search function will return LOTS of information about your situation.

Most-commonly, the o-rings between the intake boots and the cylinder head are shrunk up and/or cracked, requiring replacement. The best source for them is cycleorings.com. You can also get stainless bolts to replace the lousy stock bolts that hold the intake boots to the head.

If this bike is new to you, you might also consider a full cleaning of the carbs (you have to remove them to change the boot o-rings) and replacing the o-rings in them, too. Cycleorings is the best source for them, too. The full set of o-rings for the carbs and boots, and the new bolts is less than $25.

DO NOT get any "carb rebuild kits", you only need to clean everything, replace o-rings and set the float height and idle mixture screws correctly.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jpizzolato,

As Mr. Steve wisely suggests, look carefully at your air intake system. It must be completely sealed from intake leaks. You have a 30 year old motorcycle that probably needs 20 years worth of maintenance. If you do all of the maintenance properly (not just slap on a band-aid so that you can ride), both you and your bike will be insanely happy.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Steve and Cliff beat me to the punch...

Good luck!
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks guys. Lots of rubber etc. needs to be replaced on the bike so that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by jpizzolato View Post
            Thanks guys. Lots of rubber etc. needs to be replaced on the bike so that makes sense.
            Don't forget the rubber that hits the road before you blast off ! Look for tire code to identify age- 20 year olds can be a handful!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I just went through this and found that there was a small amount of crud in 2 of the holes where the float needle valves go up and down. cleaned it up and it settled right in and idled the way it should after warm up
              . Mine would rise to about 2500 after warm up.
              Paul

Comment

Sounds like you will be going into the carbs soon to get the rest of the "crud" that hasn't shown up yet.

Personally, I would prefer to do that before my bike strands me on the side of the road.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Sounds like you will be going into the carbs soon to get the rest of the "crud" that hasn't shown up yet.

Personally, I would prefer to do that before my bike strands me on the side of the road.

Complete clean when I was in there doing the jet kit.They are up for sale in the for sale section at a very nice price.
                  These are on the bike now.

Comment

Working...
                  X