GS850 Jet Kit work around Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Jet Kit work around Questions.

First of all, I've been gleaning info from this forum for 6 years and I feel like I know a lot of you. Sorry for being so silent but I love this place.

So, I have my 5th GS850 and it came with an unbaffled exhaust and pod filters. It was in non-running condition and has been sitting for a looong time. I cleaned it all up and adjusted the valves. A few of the valves were so far out of spec that I could measure NO clearance and had to guess. What abuse! Anyway, I know to run with this setup that I need a Stage 3 Kit. I'm a machinist and work in a machine shop with drills and reamers at every .0001 designation. (we make a lot of parts for aerospace) I can take my jets out and make them any size that I want and I can shim my needle and drill the 5/32 and 7/64 holes to open my mixture screw and slide lift hole.

Should I start with a 120 Main and then move up? 121 to start?

Does anyone know what the difference in the kits needles is?

DynoJet's site calls their main jets with this kit DJ160 and DJ165. Are they really that big? http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3306.pdf

Also, the guy had a pair of 1100 carbs on there with some wacky boots so I bought a pair of 79 flatslides VM26SS and they are the carbs I'll be using. If it sounds like I'm being cheap, I am. I don't want to spend 100 bucks on a few small pieces of brass. I also just like doing things for myself. I'm using the cycleorings.com kit and ordering new intake boots but I can make holes bigger myself.
    Thanks in advance. Best....website....everrrr.....

its all about the needles...
    buy a jet kit,follow the instructions to a T and be done it.

FYI
    i'm assuming your working with an 80 or later GS850.
    Last edited by blowerbike; 09-11-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I'm ordering the kit. When it gets here though I'm going to reverse-engineer that needle and draw it up in Solidworks because I can make my own on a lathe for my next project which is a '79 850 that I'll actually keep for myself. I love having kick-start

Comment

Originally posted by NeyborDayfid View Post
        I'm ordering the kit. When it gets here though I'm going to reverse-engineer that needle and draw it up in Solidworks because I can make my own on a lathe for my next project which is a '79 850 that I'll actually keep for myself. I love having kick-start
        79 is all by itself.
        80 and up has vacuum carbs.

Comment

Welcome to the site!

We need to know what year the bike is. Pre 80 had VM carbs which are a totally different animal than the CV's that Suzuki put on the 80+.

My 82 has CV's.
          The mains are the easy part of the kit. The important part is the adjustable needles.
          The kit also comes with a little air restrictor that is clued in place. The slides will also need to be drilled.
          The kit is the way to go.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. NeyborDayfid,

The difference in the unit of measurement between the DJ jets and Mikuni jets is this: DJ uses actual diameter measurements (a 120 is a 1.20mm hole). Mikuni uses flow rate (a 120 jet is 120cc of fuel per minute). Here's a "conversion" chart I found.

Now, the reason I stopped by... to deliver your "mega-welcome".

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2011, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Hey thanks guys!
              Let me clear it up a little. I'm building 2 850's right now.
              The first one is an 80 with 32mm Mikuni CV carbs. I'm buying the stage 3 kit for it and installing it per instructions.
              The second is the '79 and I have a rack of 26mm VM carbs for that.
              I know the kit is the way to go and I'll buy it and then clone it for the second bike.
              Has anyone used the 6Sigma kits? I know DynoJet is really respected but the 6Sigma Stage 3 kit seems to be the same and is about 50 bucks cheaper. I should probably just go with the one I know has worked for so many people.
              Also, the '80 is a Canadian bike and is the 'euro' model. I haven't noticed any signifact differences but if you know of any I'd love to know.
              Thanks everybody!

Comment

You don't need a jet kit for VM carbs

All the parts are available

Jets are cheap

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I also wanted to mention that after cloning the needles and reaming my jets I'll be happy to make someone something custom if they have an idea of some kind of improvement to make. I do drafting/engineering/machining by trade and I'm getting deeper into the bikes right now and want to make parts. I'm working on a set of rearsets for CB160 so I can race it. I'm open to ideas if anyone needs something.
                  Thanks again all.

Comment

Working...
                  X