Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This sound like a needle position issue to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sound like a needle position issue to you?

Keeps fouling plugs, burbles a lot, LOTS of black soot in the pipes, less than stellar gas mileage, stumbles and stalls and cruises like she's drunk....but wide open throttle she's king ****. I can't hardly hand on.

How is she at idle?

Comment

Nope

Needle only affects the midrange
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Well...when the plugs aren't fouled she idles nicely...all be it a little high at times.

Isn't what I described "midrange", Big T? She's a monster wide open, but trying to cruise (1/4~1/2 throttle) she stumbles and bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
          Well...when the plugs aren't fouled she idles nicely...all be it a little high at times.

Isn't what I described "midrange", Big T? She's a monster wide open, but trying to cruise (1/4~1/2 throttle) she stumbles and bucks.
          Pilots. Which carbs?

Comment

Can you elaborate on pilots? Carburetors are not my strongest area.

The engine is a 1993 Katana 750...whatever carbs came on it stock.

Comment

Does this bike have typical "choke" operation- i.e., needed for cold start, etc - or will it start happy without it? Maybe the "choke" isn't fully off when you think it is. I've noticed on my bike that if I don't fully turn "choke" off within about two minutes, it will stumble as I accelerate in midrange.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

have you cleaned the carbs?
                1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                  Can you elaborate on pilots? Carburetors are not my strongest area.

The engine is a 1993 Katana 750...whatever carbs came on it stock.
                  Pilot jets. There is a transition period between the pilot jets and the needle. Then another transition between the needle and the main jets. What you are reporting may be that the mains are O.K. but the pilot jets may be incorrectly sized. It may also be that the pilot jets are clogged. Have you done the full carb cleaning and o-ring replacement yet?

Comment

I know what the pilots are...I just didn't see the correlation. Aren't the pilots what covers idle and the low end? When she's got good plugs she does the low end stuff just fine...it's all mid.

This winter I'll be pulling the carbs and tearing them all apart and rebuilding. Haven't done it yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X