Cones vs Stock Air Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
    Haters gonna hate, but that air box can go to Hell. Love my KN pods, but you'll need to rejet them.

Do you have VM or CV carbs? The Dynojets for CV carbs take a lot of guess work out of this.
    His bike is an 80 model so it has VM's. I'm not sure if DJ even makes a kit for that bike.

I have K&N's on my 850 and you're correct, the kit does indeed take a lot of the guess work out of it.
    But then, the airbox that was on my bike was a chopped up mess.
    Jetting is a learned experience.
    If the bike runs as it should, he should leave it be.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I agree with both sides. I love my K&N pods and Kerker pipe on my GPz, but the DynoJet Stage III jets were a disappointment. I ended up buying Mikuni pilot jets from Z1 and going up 2 sizes. The kit came with 180 & 185 mains; I ended up with 170s. You would think at that price they would include the correct mains and also include pilot jets. It runs fantastic, btw.
      .OTOH, for the cost of the pipe, pods, kit and extra jets you could probably move up a class and get similar performance from a stock bike.

Comment

im looking at the pod filters and im a little confuised on what size to get. first, I have a 1982 gs330. cv carbs. I dont have an airbox or anything so i have to go with the pods. What size fits my carbs?

Comment

WH: measure the OD of your carbs (filter side) in mm

Or wait; someone here may chime in

Comment

I have an 82 gs1100 and I hate the airbox. To much plastic ugliness in one place, with the airbox sitting right next to the plastic side panels for me. So I would like to change from the airbox to cone filters, will I need to rejet the carbs or can I just replace the airbox with the cone filters and run ?
            Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2012, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hdeuce View Post
              I have an 82 gs1100 and I hate the airbox. To much plastic ugliness in one place, with the airbox sitting right next to the plastic side panels for me. So I would like to change from the airbox to cone filters, will I need to rejet the carbs or can I just replace the airbox with the cone filters and run ?

Check my signature for the Newbie Mistakes thread...
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

No. You must rejet. Period.

By the way if it is indeed an 1980 model (the OPs 550) it will have CV carbs. 1979 model year was the last year of mechanical VM carbs on all models. Some smaller bikes had CVs well before that.
                Not a GS but the XS1100 had CVs from day one..

Comment

thanks, for the info. How do I know what size jets I need for the cone filters?

Comment

You need more than just jets. With CV carbs you absolutely need a Dynojet kit. CV carbs cannot be made to run correctly by simply replacing jets as the jet needles are too fat with not enough taper to work with the added air flow. Meaning they won't let enough fuel by soon enough on the needle circuit which is where much of normal riding time is spent.

Wasting time trying to re-jet CV carbs without a kit is an excerise in sillyness.
                    To get it to function even somewhat correctly in the needle circuit you end up having mains that are ridiculously too big. Because the mains feed the pilot circuit as well, it will probably run like crap at low speed, and flat out drown on gasoline at WOT...

In short, to use pods with any GS with stock carb types built from 1980 on, you need a Dynojet or similar jetting kit. It won't run worth a crap otherwise.

Comment

Leave it stock.
                      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

I specialize in the 1100s & 1150s Call me at 714--356-7845 & I will help you. Also, there are OTHER suppliers of jet kits besides Dynojet & they actually work better. Ray.

Comment

The one big plus of pod filters is that it is one million times easier to pull your carbs. This is important, because you will pull your carbs a lot to get the jets right!

Here's my favorite link for carb tuning: http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbt...m_engines.html

Comment

Not to be harsh, but there is no way you even tried to search if you are asking this. In short, if you go with cones, you will need a jet kit. The whole kit. Just swapping mains or pilots will not get it running well or maybe even at all with pods.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              I specialize in the 1100s & 1150s Call me at 714--356-7845 & I will help you. Also, there are OTHER suppliers of jet kits besides Dynojet & they actually work better. Ray.
                              That there are. Notice I said Dynojet or similar jet kit. On the GSes I've only used DJ kits so I don't know what others work better. Some on the KZ boards actually hate the DJ kits on the KZs and say the Factory Pro kits are better. I've never used one so I won't comment as to that. I do know that the Dynojet kit in my ZRX isn't the greatest and plan on switching that out to an Ivan's kit at some point. And many claim the Dale Walker "Holeshot" kits are the best ones for the Bandits.

What other GS jet kits do you prefer/find work better Ray? I'm always looking for something new/new tips on that sort of stuff...

The only reason I use Dynojet kits as an example as often as I do is because they are relatively easy to install and tinker on, and the instructions, aside for their needle clip suggestions (which I usually find are off to the lean side..) are pretty "idiot proof" which can be helpful to a person who may find diggin into his carbs a little scary/daunting. By no means do I mean to suggest they are the best or only kit out there.

Comment

The FactoryPro jet kits are better than the Dynojet kits. They use needles that have similar to stock tapers on them & are easier to tune. They also don't require you to drill the slide holes or have the hard to remove flat spots of some Dynojet kits. I stock the FactoryPro needles & just install them with the correct size pilots & mains. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                                X