I want to put pods on my completely stock 77 gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    Yes. But you need to fix the exhaust leak as well.
    I am working on that now. Is there a seal set I need? I intend to attempt to make a seal from some muffler tape this saturday. The right muffler fell off on the way home and it is the leaky one. The junction between the muffler and the collector is leaking and only on the side that fell off.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      117.5 is probably where you want to be. 120 IIRC on my cafe was too fat. But since they're cheap, get both, that way you're sure you have what you need. Stock pilot will be fine, one turn out on the fuelscrews,(bottom ones) 1.75 on the air screws (side ones) should be ok, maybe a little less. Yes, needle probably needs to be one clip slot down (move it toward the point) from stock, maybe one and a half, or two. No two bikes are the same, so there's a little trial and error here. The birch of it is, every time you pull the slides to move the needle on these, you have to resync... I'd split the difference, get some extra small washers for the needle clip spacers (the thin metal ones, not the thick plastic ones) and move it to 1.5 spaces below stock (meaning put the clip two spaces below stock, but double up the washers). The bike should pull from nothing to WFO without stumble or bucking. RPMs have little to do with it, throttle opening position is key in determining which circuit is a problem. It may help, when dialing it in, to mark off your throttle in 1/4 opening increments. 0-1/4 will be low speed/maintenance throttle circuit, 1/4-3/4 is needle, 3/4-WOT is main.

Let us know.
      Exactly the type and amount of info I need. Thanks.

WFO is something she will never hit except to tune her. I am way past the point of needing to go fast.

Updates as we dial her in.

Comment

I spoke to the z1 enterprises tech support

And they suggested against re-jetting to begin with. Chris said to install the pods, pop the carb tops and move the needle clip down one setting, run for fifteen minutes and do a plug inspection before changing anything else.

If she stalls or stumbles in the high rpm range with WOT then she will need new mains and they should only be 105 to 110s.

I will be doing so tomorrow and will be updating afterward.

Comment

No offence meant to chris or anyone at Z1 but you can't just "pop the carb tops and move the needles" on these. They're mechanical actuated slides. Not vacuum. The throttle control shaft has to be removed to pull the slides to change the needles.
          And again, no offense, but having done this more than once on the same bike, their jet size suggestions are dead wrong for pods.

Comment

TCK and me aren't making it up - we've been there, done that. You'll be way to lean. 120s plus or minus a little bit. Unless they're rubbish pods - in which case throw them away.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I bought 115 mains from a local shop only to find they were the small ones for Mikunis. Useless.

I put the gorgeous Emgo pods on her - they look like sex on wheels. I moved the clips down one notch, I turned the fuel screws out 3/4 and the air screws out one point five. Cafekid was most helpfull - I cut his advice by a bit - everyone on here starts way too far to the fuel side. His help was incredible once I dialed it down just a hair. The idle circuit and the slide on this old girl now run like a cat with it's tail on fire while holding itself as calm and cool (not enough oooooos in smooth) as an Argentinian goucho.

The high side is a flaming mess. The stock #100s make her fall on her face. The only extra set I had were the #120s that almost everyone said I should START with - they are so boggy that she has to be at high rpms to even function in the same universe as the sweet old bike.

I will be ordering 110s and 112.5s to work her out next week.

As promised, an update has been posted.

Comment

117.5 mate but give er a go with however you choose.

By the by...as far as the Emgo pods go, they may look pretty but they filter bugger all, and actually hurt air flow. It's worth the cash to buy actual K&Ns.. But she's your bike. Glad you're getting her on the right track

Rightly so everyone starts out on the rich side, because it's safe. Run her too lean and you'll end up with a useless lump with torched valves and or holed pistons. Just make sure you check your plugs as you go...stark white says she's too lean. Good luck!
                Last edited by Guest; 09-25-2011, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  Unless they're rubbish pods - in which case throw them away.
                  As above - Emgo = rubbish. Might as well just run bellmouths as they will filter just as well plus you'll actually have the bellmouth effect.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                  X