Stalls after engine is hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalls after engine is hot

My 79 GS850 runs great when cold. After riding about 8 to 10 miles the RPM's will drop and the bike will stall. After restarting it runs rough and doesn't have the smooth power it did when cold. It’s been in the shop several times. Carb have been removed and cleaned. Complete tune-up with new coils and the bike has electronic points. A mechanics told me it could the rubber o ring between the carbs and the heads in the intake I’ve not changed the o ring because none of the manuals show this part. Problem is very frustrating. I have other bikes but I love this bike. I’ve had since new. Any help with experience on this type of problem would be appreciated.

While you wait for a guy named Basscliff to fall on you with info, visit www.cycleorings.com (look for VM carb stuff) to see the o-ring that might be crying for replacement after all this time.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

http://www.cycleorings.com/intake.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jlake_Dave View Post
        My 79 GS850 runs great when cold. After riding about 8 to 10 miles the RPM's will drop and the bike will stall. After restarting it runs rough and doesn't have the smooth power it did when cold. It’s been in the shop several times. Carb have been removed and cleaned. Complete tune-up with new coils and the bike has electronic points. A mechanics told me it could the rubber o ring between the carbs and the heads in the intake I’ve not changed the o ring because none of the manuals show this part. Problem is very frustrating. I have other bikes but I love this bike. I’ve had since new. Any help with experience on this type of problem would be appreciated.
        Does it start bogging more quickly if you're really cranking on the throttle? Could the float bowls be emptying?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Jlake_Dave,

Have a look at this article (PDF file):

Air Intake Repair: (Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement)

And I have never read anyone on this forum who said that they got a proper carb cleaning at a shop. Check out these articles:

VM Carburetor Rebuild Guide
          (Courtesy of GSR and Paul Musser)

Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial
          (Mr. Nessism)

CV Carburetor Rebuild Guide
          (Courtesy of GSR and John Bloemer)(Click here to see the CV Carb Notes)

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS850G lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 09-21-2011, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X