Running out of parts to change!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coady View Post
    This does point to fuel level. Check the "wet" fuel level with some clear tubing. should be approx 3-5mm under the mating line of the carb body and float bowl.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Ahhhh ya that's a great idea. I'll make one and try it. Hopefully I'll find the fuel level is too high, if not it's strip em down again cause I got nothin else left. Thanks for this tip!!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

The aftermarket "carb kits" are infamous for inferior and incorrect parts. If you need to replace any internal carb bits then I suggest you use OEM parts. When you dipped the carb bodies you should have dipped all the other metal parts (needle jet, pilot jet, needle valves/seats, air jet, etc) and re-used them along with a new O-ring kit. The manufacturing tolerances (or lack thereof) on the aftermarket "carb kits" can cause issues that are hard to troubleshoot. The OEM stuff may be a little pricey, but it just works properly.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      I did keep all the parts and they all looked fine, but I used all the shiny new pieces from the kit. If it's not the floats I'll tear them down and re do them. Thanks

Comment

Just an update... wet checked the fuel levels and they all were at or above the mating surface of the bowl and body. So it looks like fuel levels were too high. Haven't adjusted the floats yet but I will this weekend and see if that works.

Thanks,

Kevin

Comment

One of my floats ended up at 28mm to get the wet fuel level right. I imagine they must get less bouyant with age.
          1979 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Coady View Post
            One of my floats ended up at 28mm to get the wet fuel level right. I imagine they must get less bouyant with age.
            No, they don't.

The foam floats generally last just about forever, but they can get physically or chemically damaged and soak up fuel.

You need to replace that float, and check the others carefully to make sure they all float identically.

If you have a sensitive postal scale (down to 1/10 gram), you could weigh the floats to make sure they all weigh the same. Or, put the floats in a small amount of gasoline in a glass jar and make sure they float at the same height and attitude.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X