Just a carb rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a carb rebuild?

I'd like to know if this is just a "simple carb rebuild" or can you tell if more is need? (Judging from the sound and what I do.)

Link to Video

What is a "simple carb rebuild"? You mean a rebuild where you just do a quick spritz out with carb spray, and leave the old/hard/brittle 32 year old O-rings in place?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

"Carb Rebuild" sounds so intimidating and expensive

It's really not that intense to do a full and thorough carb cleaning. Not very expensive either. All you need is a can of Berrymans (hell I've boiled them in Pine Sol!) and an O-ring kit. Anyone that can twist a screw driver or turn a wrench can break these suckers down in no time following the step by step procedure outlined by forum members.

The longest part of the whole procedure is waiting for the Dip to work it's magic.

Take a couple days and you will have super clean carbs that will make your old bike purr.

Nic
      Last edited by niclpnut; 09-21-2011, 08:28 PM.
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

I am currently in the process of rebuilding my carbs.

1 bottle of Yamalube carb dip $12.99

O-rings, intake boot rings and new hardware $30.00.

Knowing the job was done right....priceless

Read the forums, take your time and they are not difficult to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          What is a "simple carb rebuild"? You mean a rebuild where you just do a quick spritz out with carb spray, and leave the old/hard/brittle 32 year old O-rings in place?
          Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
          "Carb Rebuild" sounds so intimidating and expensive

It's really not that intense to do a full and thorough carb cleaning. Not very expensive either. All you need is a can of Berrymans (hell I've boiled them in Pine Sol!) and an O-ring kit. Anyone that can twist a screw driver or turn a wrench can break these suckers down in no time following the step by step procedure outlined by forum members.

The longest part of the whole procedure is waiting for the Dip to work it's magic.

Take a couple days and you will have super clean carbs that will make your old bike purr.

Nic
          I was being a little facetious using the ""simple carb rebuild". Sometimes, using sarcasm in written text falls flat. What I meant was I did use the carb cleaner (SeaFoam in the gas & poured directly into the fuel line and let sit for a few moments. It did enough to get the bike to start.) Back to my original question and an additional.

1 - Will a carb rebuild fix the choke/small back fire issue or do we think it is just starting point?

2 - What is the standard turns out for the idle adjustment screw? 1? 2? 2.5?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ScrumDown View Post
            ... I did use the carb cleaner (SeaFoam in the gas & poured directly into the fuel line and let sit for a few moments. It did enough to get the bike to start.
            Now you need to go back and do the FULL job by dipping them in the cleaner of your choice and replacing all the o-rings.

Originally posted by ScrumDown View Post
            2 - What is the standard turns out for the idle adjustment screw? 1? 2? 2.5?
            Each bike is different. What many of us will suggest is starting with them at three full turns out. When the bike is fully warmed up, slowly turn each mixture screw in, listening for highest idle speed. You may not hear any increase, so listen for a decrease, then back out about 1/8 turn. Essentially, this is "lean, best idle".

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not sure what carbs you have but I followed this guide:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Each bike is different. What many of us will suggest is starting with them at three full turns out. When the bike is fully warmed up, slowly turn each mixture screw in, listening for highest idle speed. You may not hear any increase, so listen for a decrease, then back out about 1/8 turn. Essentially, this is "lean, best idle".
                Not the idle screws on the carbs, But the one from the throttle cable. Maybe is would be better if I called it the throttle cable adjustment screw....

Comment

Sorry, I had the wrong carbs in mind, anyway.

The throttle cable has no "standard" adjustment other than assuring just a little slack in the cable at idle speed.

Is your bike basically stock, as in stock airbox and exhaust? If so, set your fuel screws (the ones on the bottom of the carbs) about 5/8 to 3/4 turn out from lightly seated. Start with your air screws (the ones on the sides of the carbs) about double the fuel screw setting, or 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out. When the bike is warmed up, adjust the air screws for highest idle.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                  X