Looking for a little more from the GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a little more from the GS

Hi, im new here and fairly new to the GS. I recently got a 1978 GS 750 that was well taken care of but never ridden(sat for 2 yrs). did all the right stuff to wake it up, L.O.F. plugs, fresh gas,etc. I need to do an air filter, but they are expensive and for around the same price i could do Pod air filters. I know when you go with pods you have to re-jet. dynajet has a kit for the 1980 and up bikes but nothing for the older ones. the next best thing would be to piece together a jet settup through jetsRus or someplace like that. Has anyone done pods and jets on the old style gs? also this bike will remain with a stock 4-2 exhaust.

I have pods and 4-1 on the same bike. Rejecting will be trial and error. You will need to increase the mains a few sizes, raise the needle clips, and possibly increase the pilot jet.

I ended up going back to stock 15 for pilots (had upped them to 17.5), richened the needle by two slots, and increased the mains to 125s. I think the idle is where it needs to be, but still need to do chops for the mid range and WoT jetting.

Comment

You will not gain much if any power by changing to pods alone.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Howdy, 12tho079 ,Suzuki put a little more (my biased opinion) in most all of the GS lineups,esp.in the engine dept.You should sort out that awesome 750 first,to it's given designed potential for safety,reliability,rideabilt,etc. Any future carb mod ,must be carefully researched/discussed,but first the OEM unit(if yours has it still)has to be 100% spot on at all operating ranges,esp. at idle and onward throttle opening ranges.Dynojet instruction sheet(s),insist on installing kit on a known,well functioning ,trouble free carb/engine situation.If you achieve full stock performance,you may put off carb. mod. as you will be amazed that little bit extra was just waiting to be extracted/re-discovered.But as always, your machine,your decisions. Happy Motoring!

Comment

It's cheaper and easier in the long run to spring for the OEM air filter and seal up your airbox

Cheap pods are just that, cheap. If you're not going to K&N or APE you're just throwing your money away

Putting pods in will result in hours of tinkering, lower gas mileage and zero performance gain
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 12tho079,

Yes, you can sort through the jetting with a little trial and error. Some here have done exactly the same thing to the same bike and can give you jet sizes and needle adjustments that will get you close. But you'll still have to do some plug chops, read the plugs, and adjust accordingly.

Mr. Nessism is right. Without also adding a performance exhaust you will not be reaching the full potential available by modifying the intake. But to be honest with you (and I admit I'm pretty much an old fuddy-duddy), all of that time, effort, expense, decreased fuel efficiency, increased noise, etc, all for a few extra horses isn't really worth it in my book. Don't get me wrong. Many here have done it, done it right, and enjoy it. It's not that hard, it's just tedious, and probably will not provide the return you were hoping for. But sometimes, for example, if your airbox is trashed, you are forced to use pod filters. If so, get good ones (NOT Emgo). It's always best practice to first get your engine running properly in stock configuration so that you have a baseline to start with. Then you will be able to compare the effect of any modifications. Anyway, I just stopped by to share something.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

so basically ive been waisting my time with these pods ive been playing with the jets on a spair set of carbs its really a pain and when i put the old carbs back on with tthe airbox it seems fine so does anyone have any suggestions for a little performance got the 4-1 v&h any jet combinations i could start out with i am a sponge for knowledge
              Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X