Carb not flowing enough gas???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb not flowing enough gas???

I got my stuff buttoned up, started to do some test riding and found out one of the carbs isn't burning much gas. I pulled them off cleaned them out got everything back together. It is cylinder 1, gas is in the bowl, cylinder is getting fire. the pipe doesn't get hot as the other you can touch it not the others. Could I have set my float height wrong so that not enough gas is getting into the carb hence it's not flowing out to the cylinder and not enough to pick up??? Not sure on this one. I'm pretty new at doing this much work so it's been an education, and still is.

Is the pipe hot to the touch or just warm? Meaning will it burn you or can you hold it? If you can hold it after riding, the cylinder isnt firing, or firing sporadically. What are your mix screws set at? Are you positive the carb is clean clean? If your screw is more than 2 turns out and it's not firing you're pilot circuit still has some crap in it. If it's not 2 or more turns out, open it another 1/2 turn at a time and see if it fires...

Comment

It's very warm to the touch. You can't hold it but it's nothing at all like the others heat wise. It won't send you off screaming to the touch either, you will let go, it's not hot like the other three are. As far as the screws I set the stuff but don't remember, it's been about 6 months. I just reset where they were, I'm not sure what the PO had done to them. I know they were not factory set though. I don't have any help out here so I do things as best I can and slow. I'm learning as I go. The other three are a little rich but run very well and smooth. It's starts very easily and even still idles pretty smooth, but 1 isn't running right. The pipe isn't discolored like 2,3,4.
      I take it from your post my float height isn't the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by sachsaca View Post
        It's very warm to the touch. You can't hold it but it's nothing at all like the others heat wise. It won't send you off screaming to the touch either, you will let go, it's not hot like the other three are. As far as the screws I set the stuff but don't remember, it's been about 6 months. I just reset where they were, I'm not sure what the PO had done to them. I know they were not factory set though. I don't have any help out here so I do things as best I can and slow. I'm learning as I go. The other three are a little rich but run very well and smooth. It's starts very easily and even still idles pretty smooth, but 1 isn't running right. The pipe isn't discolored like 2,3,4.
        I take it from your post my float height isn't the problem?
        Well, I suppose it could be a possible issue, but if one breaks it down logically, there are other possibilities I'd lend more credence.
        When setting the float height, it's the same for every carb. 22.4mm +/- 1mm. So if you've done that correctly, you could assume (and we all know where assuming gets you, but follow along) that all the carbs would be having the same problem.
        You could just as easily still have some garbage in the pilot/small throttle opening circuit, or have something clogging up the fuel rail, (sometimes people forget to clean those out as well in the concentration of making sure the bodies and passages are clean) or your mixture adjustment screw may not be open enough (as a baseline, after a rebuild, it's generally accepted to set them at 2.5-3 turns out, despite where they may have been set before, cause that may have been incorrect, or correct for the bike at the time). As much as you probably don't want to hear it, I'd suggest pulling the carbs, and double checking your float height, and assuring your passages are clear, and then once you're satisfied they are, set your mix screw settting to 3 turns out across the board. See if that works, then if they're rich, you can adjust based on high idle method.

Comment

Take off the spark plug boot and make sure you have nice clean copper wire to bite back into.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X