82 GS1100GK - stuck petcock lever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100GK - stuck petcock lever

When I bought the bike earlier this summer, I noticed the petcock lever wouldn't turn from "ON" to any other position.

It's not gummed up. It jiggles but won't turn.

So I took off the entire petcock and disassembled it. The orange grooved disk under the lever seems to be the problem -- it won't move at all. I considered trying to push it out from the other side, but before I break something I wanted to get some guidance.

See photo.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks!

I would undo the four screws on the other side of the petcock and remove the alloy cover, diaphragm and stuff and see if you can push the plastic offending piece out from that side.

Comment

I would reach into my wallet, select one of the pieces of plastic therein with numbers on it, and order a new petcock.

Just $61 for OEM

$55 from Z1enterprises.com

In other words, replace it and fuhgeddaboutit for the next 30 years.

Seriously, the petcock controls a highly flammable substance six inches from your crotch. This is no time to cheap out or fart around with shoddy rebuild kits.
      Last edited by bwringer; 09-25-2011, 12:27 AM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Seriously, the petcock controls a highly flammable substance six inches from your crotch. This is no time to cheap out or fart around with shoddy rebuild kits.
        Well, when you put it THAT way....

I'll do that, and then use the original as my experimental version to bust up and see how it works

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

That plastic piece is tapered and fits with a tight clearance in the petcock body. The plastic swells with age, plus there could be some debris inside, keeping the barrel piece from turning. I'd take the plastic out and look to see if a simple clean out will solve the problem. You can even take a little 600 grit sand paper and smooth out the plastic barrel too. I did this on a petcock and the lever turned smoothy afterwards. Failing that, I'd just get a new one like Brian alludes.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            That plastic piece is tapered and fits with a tight clearance in the petcock body. The plastic swells with age, plus there could be some debris inside, keeping the barrel piece from turning. I'd take the plastic out and look to see if a simple clean out will solve the problem. You can even take a little 600 grit sand paper and smooth out the plastic barrel too. I did this on a petcock and the lever turned smoothy afterwards. Failing that, I'd just get a new one like Brian alludes.
            That's sorta what I was asking first ~ is it possible to push out the disk from the opposite side without buggering something up. Sounds like it is. And even if I *do* bugger something up, well, I'm not any worse off than I am now!

Comment

Well, I got it out pretty easy by pushing from the other side. It's a cone-shaped plastic piece. No damage that I could see, so I'm not sure why it's getting hung up in there. Probably swelling, as someone suggested. I'm going to bite the bullet and order a new OEM petcock and be done with it. Thanks for the help, though!

Comment

Working...
              X