Petcock gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock gs750

Hello there, first time motorcycle owner. I purchased a '79 gs750 and it was running pretty good till this morning. My motor was turning over but it wasn't getting any shots of gas. I checked the fuel line and about a forth of the line was filled with air. I decided to drain the tank and inspect the petcock. My grandfather was assisting me while doing so he accidently dropped a spring within the petcock. I was having trouble with the gas valve on the petcock so I've decided to buy an entire petcock instead of a rebuild kit. I was curious if I needed to specifically install a 1979 petcock or not.

tldr: I was wondering if I needed to install a 1979 gs750 specific petcock or if I could just install one of the non descriptive(year wise) gs750 petcocks sold on ebay.

They seemed to be design relatively the same way, but since I don't really have any skills when it comes to automobiles I thought I'd be safe and ask. I've seen several gs750 petcocks on ebay but only one 1979 gs750 petcock.

Z-1 Enterprises has a nice write-up on our GS petcocks here... http://www.z1enterprises.com/reference/petcock.aspx

There are stock replacements for the vaccuum operated ones as well as the correct sized "standard" lever types. They come in various sizes so you will need to measure the mounting hole space to be sure you get the correct one. But they even sell Pingel adapter plates to adapt to thread in aftermarket ones.
    Give it a read, Hope that helps!

Comment

Thank you very much for the direction! I'll do a bit of research and see what I can find out. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Also, watch out for clearance issues with the frame, and with the direction the hoses take off from the petcock. I've had trouble with both issues when buying replacements.

Comment

Your 1979 should be able to use a petcock from any 1977-1979 GS750. Check the parts fiche to be sure.

Comment

Working...
          X