Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb cleaner

Hi guys,
    Thanks to mpencegs, basscliff,Highway Glider and cableguy for the info on carb cleaner. i am still looking around for something to use. I don't know if I like the idea of lemon juice. I wanted to clean the carbs as my third cylinder wasn't firing and fault finding led me to carbs. It's a 1978 GS 1000. While I am waiting for new o rings, I decided to take off the carbs for a look. They were hard to get off but even harder to get back on!!!!! I took the float bowl off the third carb and found the main jet screw lying in the float bowl!!!!!!!!! I decided to check the other bowls; 1 and 2 were okay but 4 main jet screw fell out just as I took off the bowl. I checked the intake boot o ring on 1 and it is in a terrible state, so I will have to order those as well. After putting the carbs back on, I fired up the bike which spewed out a load of white smoke, which I'm hoping is just the result of the 3rd cylinder not firing for a while. I will check the compression this week, fingers crossed, its okay. Has anyone found a main jet screw lying in the float bowl before and if so is this a recurring problem? Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my questions.
    Dan
Working...
X