Fuel line size..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel line size..

DOes anyone know the fuel line size for the 81 GS450 TX.. I want to buy an inline filter and want to make sure I get the right one.. Choices seem to be 5/16 or 1/4

Search.........

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Why do you need an inline fuel filter when the petcock already does that job? And unless you get one specifically designed for gravity fed systems you'll just be wasting time while not riding your bike.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Why do you need an inline fuel filter when the petcock already does that job? And unless you get one specifically designed for gravity fed systems you'll just be wasting time while not riding your bike.
        I was not aware that the petcock acts as a filter.. I will have to research this further I guess..

Comment

So here is a break down of the petcock for my bike.. How is that acting as a filter? I mean I realize that the holes are a certain diameter but I am willing to bet that particles from my 30+ year old gas tank could still make it through. Plus how hard would it be to remove the petcock for cleaning? I was not going to mess with it as didn't want to cause myself any fuel leaks..

I am here to learn so please take my questions in that manner.. Not arguing just trying to increase my knowledge..

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            I concur. If your fuel tank and carbs are clean, an inline fuel filter will serve no purpose and may even cause fuel starvation. I got my fuel line at the auto parts store. It fits fine without clamps. But not all fuel line is the same.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Drain the fuel from your tank into a gas can by putting the petcock onto prime and letting everything flow out until it stops. Then, remove the petcock paying attention to the screws WITH the little washers (THEY ARE UNIQUE) so you don't lose them.

I don't see you needing to clean it unless you have a really rusty tank so look at the tank first. You are right in that stuff will flow into your carbs but if that's the case you need to clean that tank and reline it before doing anything else.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The long tower shaped device should have a fine mesh material that acts as a filter. If you has disintegrated or has holes, you will need a new petcock. No replacements available.

Originally posted by mpencegs View Post
                So here is a break down of the petcock for my bike.. How is that acting as a filter? I mean I realize that the holes are a certain diameter but I am willing to bet that particles from my 30+ year old gas tank could still make it through. Plus how hard would it be to remove the petcock for cleaning? I was not going to mess with it as didn't want to cause myself any fuel leaks..

I am here to learn so please take my questions in that manner.. Not arguing just trying to increase my knowledge..

Comment

ok I will check out the petcock and the gas tank.. From looking inside the gas tank it looks pristine but will pull the petcock and see whats up in there. Guess I was just being overly paranoid about junking up my carbs after I have put all this time into cleaning them and replacing the o rings..

Comment

Back to the original question:
                    Originally posted by mpencegs View Post
                    DOes anyone know the fuel line size for the 81 GS450 TX.
                    The stock fuel line size is 7 mm. However, over the years, previous owners have probably replaced that with inch-sized hose.

1/4" is 6.25 mm, 5/16" is 8 mm, so neither one really fits well.
                    The 1/4" line will need to really stretch over the fittings, and most of it is reinforced, so it won't do it easily.
                    5/16" line will have to be clamped rather tightly so it won't leak.

The stock 7 mm fuel line slips over the fittings very nicely and does not really need any clamps.

And, as all the others have mentioned, if your petcock is not damaged, it does a fine job of filtering the crud out of the gas, so no in-line filter is necessary.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Here's my shiny new fuel tap beside the old knackered one... the plastic post standing up is the filter:

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Just to add to Steve's comments on fuel line hose, I too have found that the imperial sizes are not really a good fit. I buy 7mm fuel line from my local vee dub dealer. It is a nice firm push on fit and does not need clamps when installed. I just wet the end of the fuel line with fuel and it slips on easily and it does take a little bit of effort to get it off, so it definitely won't leak.

Make the fuel line a bit longer than what is really necessary as this then allows you to be able to snip a bit off the end if required without having to make up a new fuel line and then go through the drama of fitting it to the carb feed nipple again. I don't know about the 2-cyl GS's but on the fours the carbs have to be removed to fit this fuel line at the bottom end. A longer fuel line also allows you to raise the rear of the tank a bit further when fiddling under the tank without the need to remove the fuel line.

Comment

Working...
                        X