Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes it's simple...

Hi all,

More good news about my bike, 1980 GS450L. All back storyI bought it in June with about 25K on the odometer. It ran and drove OK, with the choke half on. First thing I did was replace the tires. They rubbed the front fender and chain guard. I removed the fender and pushed the chain guard in the slightest bit to fix that. The first time I rode it in the rain, it stalled out continuously and killed the battery. I bought a new battery and replaced it, causing a short to burn out to ground wires. I traced those back and replaced, respliced those wires in.)

Now I needed to fix the idling problem that caused the battery to die. First thing I do is replace my spark plugs, that was an improvement. I ordered replacement intake boots and O Rings. I'm waiting for them to arrive. But I look at my carbs and notice there's a bunch of slack on my throttle cable. So today I tighten that up slightly to remove the excess. Then while I'm down there, I see that the idle screw is turned all the way back. So I tighten that in as well.

Long story short, my bike now starts immediately (1 sec crank if that) and idles great with NO CHOKE!!! So, sometimes it is the simple things. Nevertheless I will be replacing the intake manifold and O rings when they arrive.

Thanks to everyone on the board!

Glad it worked, and thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Hi,

I enjoy good news.

Have you checked your charging system? Have you checked the valves? Regular maintenance is a good thing, will extend the life of your motorcycle (and you), and allow you to have much more fun.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Good to hear! Definitely still check the other maintenance items off like BassCliff said, but at least you know you're going in the right direction now
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

All on the to do list. Those mentioned and several others.

Front Brakes- Complete rebuild
          Airbox/Carb Clean-Tune/Intake Manifold
          Valve Clearance
          Charging system check

Those seem to be the biggies. Am I forgetting anything?

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by ninja407 View Post
            Front Brakes- Complete rebuild
            Airbox/Carb Clean-Tune/Intake Manifold
            Valve Clearance
            Charging system check
            That's a good start. There's lots of "little" things to check, clean, replace, and/or repair on a 30 year old motorcycle. Don't forget fork seals, chain and sprockets, tires, bearings (steering head, wheel, swingarm), spark plug caps, etc. The lists in your "mega-welcome" cover most stuff.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X