Opinions and/or info on Jardine exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions and/or info on Jardine exhaust

I found a chrome Jardine 4 into 1 header and megaphone locally on Craigslist. It is new and unmounted. The chrome is perfect.

I'm looking for any info/opinions on the Jardine vs. the Vance & Hines street megaphone that I have now. My V&H is rusty, denty and crappy looking. But, I like the sound and it seems to perform well.

Has anybody run both? If so, what were your impressions.

I've heard a Mac 4 into 1 and don't like the tin'ny sound of them.

I'll get it mounted and see what the sound is like. If I like it I'll work on jetting changes (if any) at that point.

Chris

Always thought of Jardines as poor cousins to V&H and Kerker for this era of bike.

BUT, if your current pipes look like crap and the price for the set off of Craigs is good, I'd say go for it.

Pipes for an antique bike are either priceless or worthless, depending on whether or not you need them. I'd expect to get them cheap off of CL, but expensive off of ebay (where there are more potential buyers for a particular set of pipes).

If these are glass packs, you can change the sound quite a bit by the packing that's in the muffler. If they're raspy, they might not have much packing in them. Of course, pack them too tightly and they start to sound nasty too. It takes some experimentation.

Comment

Yeah, my V&H sounds noticeably better with a new silencer and better packing. It comes with one layer of fiber glass. I added steel wool with the fiberglass and it sounds great.

This Jardine looks tons better. It sits a bit lower. So, that could effect ground clearance a little but I think the pegs would go down before the pipe.

I need to find a chrome clamp for the silence to collector joint. It didn't come with that part. I'll have to look around for a replacement.

Chris

Comment

I rode the bike to work today with the Jardine on it. I still haven't found a 2" band clamp to hold the silencer to header joint so I'm suing a U-bolt clamp temporarily. I like the sound from the pipe so far. It seems a bit loader than a factory 850 but quieter than the V&H even with a well packed insert.

It is definitely not metallic/tinney sounding like a MAC. A local guy had one of those and it sounded horrible.

Jetting seems good. My only changes for the V&H was upping the main jets to 110.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by resjudicata View Post
          I rode the bike to work today with the Jardine on it. I still haven't found a 2" band clamp to hold the silencer to header joint so I'm suing a U-bolt clamp temporarily.

Chris
          Here you go: http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/p...N-gj4z0d&Nty=0

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            Thanks. I hadn't thought about trying them. I'd tried all the auto parts stores and bike shops in the area without any luck.

Chris

Comment

I can get you the part number off my clamp if you like, it is stainless though, no chrome

Comment

You have any pictures of your pipe?

I have ben told that the pipe on #2 son's 850 is a Jardine, but have not seen another example to prove it.
                (Click on the link in my sig.)

It does sit a bit lower, like you describe, and is nicely quite, even with no fiberglass in the muffler.
                We have the CV carbs so jetting is different, but the bike came to me with 120 mains (up two sizes) and seems to do just fine.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  You have any pictures of your pipe?

I have ben told that the pipe on #2 son's 850 is a Jardine, but have not seen another example to prove it.
                  (Click on the link in my sig.)

It does sit a bit lower, like you describe, and is nicely quite, even with no fiberglass in the muffler.
                  We have the CV carbs so jetting is different, but the bike came to me with 120 mains (up two sizes) and seems to do just fine.

I'll get a pic up over the weekend. Mine is different than the one on your son's 850. The header looks similar but the rest is very different.

Chris

Comment

These are Jardine 4-into-2 pipes on my GS1200G.

The rear mounting plate on the mufflers says Jardine and the part number on it.
                    In this case, followed with a R or L.
                    Perhaps if you look there, yours (Steve's Son's) it will also be stamped.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      Perhaps if you look there, yours (Steve's Son's) it will also be stamped.
                      I looked, but it was 'once upon a time, a long, long time ago', and I don't remember seeing anything on the tab.

The one part that is different than any I have seen on any other header is the baffle. It does NOT go straight through, like most others. There is a solid disk in the middle, which forces all the exhaust to go through the perforated tube into the outer chamber, then back through the perforated tube to go out the exit hole. Yeah, it might restrict ultimate flow a bit, but I thnk that's what makes it reasonably quiet.

Here is a rear shot, just in case anyone can identify it from that.

Thought I had a shot that was more from the side, but you might be able to see that there is a bit of a taper to the end of the baffle, almost resembles the stock G pipes.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Doesn't that look like a Kerker can to you?
                        I can take a couple of pic's tomorrow if you wish.

Daniel

Comment

All of the Kerkers I have seen had tapered cans. This one is the same diameter all the way back.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Pics

Here are the pics of my bike with the Jardine on it. Disregard the U-bolt at the silencer to header joint. I'm hoping I get a proper clamp soon.

Steve, the end of my silencer insert is reverse cone shaped like the one on your son's bike. But, the silencer shape is definitely different.

Chris

ETA: I don't know why Photobucket turned my photos sideways.

Comment

Originally posted by resjudicata View Post
                              Steve, the end of my silencer insert is reverse cone shaped like the one on your son's bike. But, the silencer shape is definitely different.
                              Yes, I see that quite clearly.

Just out of curiosity, does the baffle go straight through? Stick a dowel rod or something else long and narrow into it, does it only go about 10 inches in or can you go all the way to (past?) the collector?

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X