Tip of fuel mixture screw broke off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip of fuel mixture screw broke off

Need some help guys. On my 1978 GS550e, the fuel mixture screw (at the bottom of the carbs) has the tip broken off and is jammed in the hole. I have the carbs at a moto shop and they are also trying to figure this out. On a side note, I also had a second set of carbs that have the same problem. Does anyone know how to remove those broken off tips or have had experience with this before? I'm desperate to get this bike running. My deadline is next Friday the day before a show I want to take it to.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM.

Do a "titles only" search using the words broken mixture screw and you'll find one from the old technical forum. You can also do one as an all posts as I know this has been explained quite often.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Very common.

Here is my thread about when it happened to me.

Comment

Hi,

This may help too:

Remove Stuck Pilot Screws
        (by Mr. Hoomgar)

I found it on some guy's website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm gonna try the scratch awl method. I really hope that gets them out.

Comment

awl does not reach over like in the picture of the write up I saw and one carb, I broke of a tip of a needle in the reverse side. Does anyone know of aftermarket carbs that will work on the GS550e? what other options do i have. 1 is good my #2, and the others are blocked.

Comment

I had broken tips in my old VM 550 carbs. Got the tips out with an awl.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm really having trouble lining it up. maybe i'm just frustrated. today was not a good day period. will regather and try again tomorrow.

Comment

got them out. had to use the sewing needle in some pliers method with a little tap and voila. Thanks for the advice. oh, I heated them up to about 400 in the oven and then waited to tap them afterwards.

Comment

one of the links to order these didn't work. do you know where I can order a set of fuel mixture screws?

Comment

anyone. have searched thread with no avail. bikebandit.com doesn't even show it's schematics.

Comment

Sudco may be able to help.

Check Carb Parts Warehouse too.

Comment

Hi,

Give Z1Enterprises.com a call and see if they can help you. They don't list their entire inventory on their site, but they do carry idle mixture screws.

Maybe they'll have some that fit your carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

nothing. they don't have the ones that fit my carbs.

Comment

Why does the manual say not to disturb this scew, yet I've seen so many thread on the tips getting broken and jammed in there. Also it says that it cannot be calibrated in the field? what's all that about? also, any other ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X