What kind of air filter do you have?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

im pretty sure its a k&n

Comment

Originally posted by ms5490renegade View Post
        im pretty sure its a k&n
        A single filter in the stock airbox, or 4 pods?

Comment

And which Vance & Hines? There is quiet one with baffles (about $350) and a 'drag bike' model($220)- no baffles and the megaphone is level with the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            A single filter in the stock airbox, or 4 pods?
            Air box single filter

Comment

Originally posted by LarryC View Post
              And which Vance & Hines? There is quiet one with baffles (about $350) and a 'drag bike' model($220)- no baffles and the megaphone is level with the ground.
              Um I'm going to say the first one since It's not too loud

Comment

Anyone know? I was thinking of getting a pipe myself to preserve the stock exhaust. Would love to know what jets are needed.
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

On mechanical carbs: move up one to two sizes from stock for just a pipe. With a K&N in box filter you may want to move the needle clip down a notch. With pods you'll need to move somewhere in the 5-7 size range and probably move the clip down two notches. Open the fuel screw to one full out, air screw should be 1.5-1.75 out. Stock pilots should work. This is a ballpark.

Vacuum carbs: for a pipe alone, you may get away with one to two sizes up on the main, maybe shim the needle. Inbox filter or pods buy a DJ kit.

Comment

Pilots and main jets

I am running 52.5 on pilots and 135 on mains, needle in stock position, spark plugs are light gray, never fouled spark plugs. I have pods and V&H 4 to 1 always open, she runs perfect and 41 mpg. Stock pilot jet is 45 so I am 3 sizes over stock. Running stock pilots while using free flow filter and 4 to 1 exhaust will yield to a lean condition.
                    Good luck.

Comment

Im at 3700ft here and in my 80 GS1100 stock motor with that pipe {fiberglass removed} I run 1 size up on the pilots and 115 Mikuni jets {107.5's stock}on the mains with a K&N filter and the airbox top on with dynojet needles 1 up from middle . Top off I can run 117.5's. I arrived at that by experimenting and some help from the smarter guys on here. Your results may vary. Dynojet jets are numbered different then Mikunis. Guys run richer at sea level but this is what works best for me in Montana.

Comment

The instructions with the Vance & Hines pipe say remove airbox lid, 122.5 mains and 47.5 pilots if that helps you any

Comment

Working...
                        X